We take a look at Daxitrol to find out more about this supplement.
- May help to increase serotonin and dopamine levels
- Incomplete ingredients profile – amount quantities not provided
- May cause potentially dangerous side effects
- Does not appear to be very effective for weight loss
- Manufactured by NeuroScience Inc. A credible looking supplements manufacturer and research developer
- Each bottle of Daxitrol contains 40 servings. Take in the way as recommended and this is just under two weeks supply
- Contains Huperzine – known for causing a range of side effects
Daxitrol is an unusual looking weight loss supplement. Instead of increasing the metabolism to burn fat or actively suppressing your appetite, the idea of this supplement is that it removes the reason for weight gain; identified in the advertising as depression and comfort eating.
According to the product information, low levels of the hormone and neurotransmitter dopamine, stimulates the need for a reward. In many cases, this reward is food and is a well documented cause of over eating and snacking. Serotonin like dopamine is also a brain chemical that is a contributor to feelings of wellbeing and happiness. Low serotonin levels can lead to depression and over eating.
Daxitrol contains a blend of ingredients that according to the product information will increase both dopamine and serotonin levels leading to decreased appetite and greater happiness.
Ingredients include Griffonia Simplicifolia seed extract – a natural source of 5 Hydroxytryptophan, which is known to increase serotonin levels.
It also contains Forskolin –a plant chemical known for treating high blood pressure, angina and erectile dysfunction. In addition, Daxitrol contains green tea extract known for its high levels of antioxidants and Phenylanine an amino acid sometimes used to treat ADHD and depression.
More worryingly, one of the active ingredients is Huperzine A. Although this is derived from a natural Chinese plant called Huperzia Serrata (fir moss) it comes with several major health concerns.
It is associated with causing nausea, diarrhoea, slurred speech and restlessness. It can also cause loss of appetite as a side effect. Huperzine A is often marketed as a nootropic supplement because it seems to be beneficial for memory issues and alertness.
How to Take Daxitrol
Take 1-3 capsules three times daily.
Daxitrol is made by NeuroScience Inc. This US Company manufacture and research proprietary Nutraceuticals to identify and target neurological and hormonal imbalances. According to the NeuroScience website, this company are leaders in neurological research and only offer products and services to accredited healthcare practitioners.
Despite this claim, NeuroScience are selling supplements direct to the public on Amazon so this claim that supplements are only available under supervision from health care professionals instantly loses credibility.
NeuroScience may look like a company who only manufacture prescription drugs, but it seems this impression is misleading.
- Why does NeuroScience clearly state this supplement is only available to healthcare professionals yet sell direct to customers via Amazon?
- Side effects may be unpredictable. May lead to mental health issues
- Supplement seems unlikely to cause much weight loss
What Does Daxitrol Claim To Do?
According to the Daxitrol advertising,
Daxitrol is used to help control cravings and impulsive behaviour, decrease appetite, and support a healthy metabolism.
Is frequently recommended for people with low levels of dopamine and serotonin
Is this really true though? Doctors do not prescribe Daxitrol for depression or as a serotonin enhancer so we guess the advertising means that NeuroScience Inc recommend it. The explanation continues,
Daxitrol is a sophisticated blend of multiple ingredients that help reset the pleasure/reward pathway.
Daxitrol contains Huperzine A, which enhances the reward sensation by decreasing acetylcholine metabolism, and N-acetylcysteine to regulate glutamate for better control of craving triggers.
Will all this really help weight loss? Is feeling depressed the only reason for weight gain? The reasons for weight gain and obesity are complex and not necessarily linked to depression.
So What Is Daxitrol and What Are The Ingredients?
Daxitrol is an OTC capsule that the makers claim will reduce food cravings and make you feel happier by raising serotonin and dopamine levels. Each serving is equal to three capsules. We cannot provide a full ingredients breakdown because most of the ingredients are masked by a proprietary blend.
Proprietary Blend (1770mg):
- N-acetylcysteine: This is both a pharmaceutical drug and a nutritional supplement and has multiple uses. According to the Daxitrol product information acetylcysteine regulates glutamate (a neuro transmitter) for better control of craving triggers. There is evidence that N-acetylcysteine is effective for treating addiction, behavioural problems and mental disorders such as OCD so may be effective for food addiction and uncontrolled eating disorders.
- L-phenylalanine: 25mg Amino acid found in protein including eggs, meat, fish and milk. The body may use L Phenylalanine to make chemical messengers but it is unclear how it works or even if it does. Can increase blood pressure.
- Green tea leaf extract (standardized to 70% EGCG): Clinical research has found that green tea has proven health benefits and the antioxidants (ECGC and polyphenols) found to have anti obesity and fat burning properties because of the effects upon the metabolism.
- 5-hydroxytryptophan (from Griffonia Simplicifolia seed extract): 5 HTP is an important building block for the human body to form serotonin, the brain’s feel good chemical that affects mood, appetite, and sexual behaviour. 5 HTP is naturally present in Griffonia – an Africa shrub and it is also produced synthetically. There is not much evidence to prove all the claims about 5HTP but trials have found that doses of 50-3000 mg daily for 2-4 weeks can improve symptoms of depression. Amounts contained in this supplement are unknown.
- Mucuna Cochinchinensis seed: Known as the Velvet bean or Cowhage this climbing plant is native to Africa and Asia. It contains L DOPA (L-3, 4-dihydroxyphenylalanine) a precursor to dopamine and adrenaline. In its pure form, L DOPA is taken as a psychoactive drug and it can cause side effects. Velvet bean is sometimes smoked for recreational purposes.
- Coleus Forskohlii Root Extract (standardized to 40% Forskolin): According to the product information, Forskolin promotes weight management as well by increasing cAMP levels and catecholamine activity. There is some evidence that Forskolin may increase lean body mass and increase testosterone levels. Historically, Forskolin has been used to stimulate or promote menses in women as a form of oral birth control.
- Huperzia Serrata Leaf Extract (standardized to 1% Huperzine A): Derived from a plant called Fir Moss. According to the advertising, Huperzine enhances the reward sensation by decreasing acetylcholine metabolism. Acetylcholine is an organic molecule found in all cells and acts as a neurotransmitter in the nervous system.
- Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) (60 mg): Organic source of vitamin C often used in supplements. Vitamin C is a crucial vitamin and antioxidant and obtainable through diet via fruit and veg.
- Vitamin B6 (6 mg): Crucial vitamin, which is important for healthy blood cell function.
- Folate as Folic Acid (133 mcg): Type of vitamin B found in food including green veg and legumes. It is important for the body’ production of cells and is used to treat anaemia.
- Vitamin B12 (133 mcg): This vitamin helps in the production of healthy red blood cells that carry oxygen around the body. Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause fatigue and anaemia.
- Pantothenic acid (from calcium Pantothenate) (60 mg): Also known as Vitamin B5 this important vitamin is found in green veg, meat dairy products and eggs. It plays a role in the destabilisation of fat and cholesterol.
- Chromium (from chromium Polynicotinate) (200 mcg): Some research suggests that taking 200mcg chromium daily over a 12-week period may help reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol levels but it requires further evidence.
So What Does All This Mean?
NeuroScience Inc is obviously serious about what they do. This company’s mission statement is to develop ‘neuro-immune based medical solutions that improve the quality of life’ and unless you are a trained chemist or endocrinologist (hormone specialist) the way that these formulas work is not easy to understand.
It might not be rocket science but it is related to brain surgery and therefore is a highly specialised branch of medicine. Few people will be qualified to really pass opinion on this supplement.
There is strong evidence that many of the ingredients contained in Daxitrol work in the way as described. However, we have some concerns about this supplement. NeuroScience Inc stress that their supplements are only available to healthcare professionals yet are selling Daxitrol to anyone via Amazon.
In addition, there are no health warnings of side effects and some of the ingredients are known for causing adverse reactions.
Does Daxitrol Have Any Side Effects?
Some of the ingredients in Daxitrol may cause side effects, which may include:
- Blurred vision
- Increase in urination
- Increased blood pressure
- Decreased blood pressure
- Slow heart rate
- Pounding heartbeat
- Abdominal bloating
- Increased menstrual bleeding
Not suitable for individuals under 18.
Avoid if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or trying to conceive.
Speak to your doctor first if you have or have had a medical condition especially related to heart, blood pressure or mental health.
Do not combine Daxitrol with prescription medication because it may cause interactions.
Any Daxitrol Reviews From Customers?
There are a few customer reviews and although there are some positive comments, only one customer has mentioned weight loss. She was unimpressed, saying:
I would have thought it would have curbed my appetite better and I would have lost more weight on it.
Other comments include:
Really helped with impulsive (addictive) behavior. Seems to be a great precursor to improving Adrenal health. May take a while to really have effect.
This does help me with my impulse behaviors… I was recommended to take this from my Homeopathic Doctor, due to some of my issues with Gluten / Celica so its Gluten Free. I take two in the morning, and able to get thru the day.
One woman bought it for her son as an alternative treatment for ADHD,
Bought this for my son 8yrs old. It was suggested by a holistic doctor. I could see his behavior much calmer and his attention improved. The best was no side effects, not like drugs Ritalin, Cettera, Elavil etc…which have lots of side effects and lost appetites. My son has gained some weight too due to better appetite… The only draw back it is a big capsule, which was very hard for my son to swallow. I gave to open the capsule to mix it water or juice.
So Does Daxitrol Work?
If you feel that that your weight gain is caused by physcological issues such as addiction, we feel that you should take some professional advice rather than turn to an OTC supplement.
Daxitrol in the words of the manufacturers NeuroScience Inc is only available to healthcare professionals so should not be available as an OTC supplement. The fact that NeuroScience Inc seems to have gone against their own advice is a major concern. This supplement contains ingredients that may cause potentially dangerous side effects. We can see that there may be problems with dependency and psychotic side effects.
The limited feedback suggests that it is not very effective as a weight loss supplement either. One lady was pleased that it led to weight gain in her son. Good news for them but not a great recommendation for a weight loss supplement.
Where Can I Buy Daxitrol?
You can buy Daxitrol via Amazon. One bottle of 120 capsules (40 servings) costs $56.44 and includes free shipping to US addresses.
Take in the way as described (up to three servings a day) and your bottle of Daxitrol will only last 13 days. If you are a healthcare professional, you can register with NeuroScience Inc and order from the company website. Prices are not provided.
What About A Guarantee
No money back guarantee is on offer.
We are not overly impressed with Daxitrol. Although the ingredients contained in this supplement are known for having an effect upon serotonin and dopamine levels, is it safe to play around with substances, which have a mind-altering effect? We are not so sure that it is and as well as the long list of physical side effects this supplement may cause, it may lead to mental health issues for some people.
According to NeuroScience, this supplement is only available to healthcare professionals yet the company sell direct to customers via Amazon, which goes directly against their own advice.
Will Daxitrol help you lose weight? It seems to have an unpredictable effect and is extremely unlikely to work for many people. The reasons for weight gain are complex and although depression and low serotonin levels may be a contributory factor, not everyone carrying a few extra pounds or even a lot of weight has got there because they are too depressed to restrict their appetites.
We think that this supplement is just too unpredictable and potentially dangerous to recommend to others so it is an easy decision, we reject Daxitrol.