We take a look at Advocare Fibo Trim to find out more.
- Comes with a full ingredients profile
- Advocare are a reputable company
- Better than many other MLM supplements we have seen
- Main ingredients need more clinical testing to prove they work
- May cause side effects
- Three capsules per serving means you could be taking as many as 9 capsules a day
- No money-back guarantee
- Sold via network marketing but is also available to buy on Amazon
- 3 capsules per serving
- Contains Chitosan so this supplement is not suitable if you are allergic to shellfish
Advocare Fibo Trim is a weight loss supplement that the makers say will limit the fat absorption that comes from consuming meals high in dietary fat. The obvious point that stands out here is that if you are trying to lose weight, don’t consume fatty meals but as we all know, losing weight is not that simple!
Advocare Fibo Trim contains Chitosan as the active ingredient. This is a natural sugar substance derived from shellfish and crab shells so it will not suit you if you are allergic to shellfish.
Chitosan may have some benefit to weight loss. Some evidence suggests that it may bind to fat in the gastrointestinal tract thus preventing it from being absorbed by your body. Instead, this fat passes through your system as undigested waste.
There is some evidence that Chitosan may help cause feelings of satiety too but this effect is helped along by the other ingredients in this supplement i.e. dietary gums and Psyllium husk. These ingredients are known to stay in the stomach for a long time and this may have the effect of making you feel full so can prevent hunger pangs and maintain sugar levels. The downside is that they also have a laxative effect.
Advocare looks pretty good at first glance. This type of diet pill can be effective if you struggle with hunger pangs and feelings of emptiness. In addition it does not contain stimulants so will not leave you feeling wired or edgy.
How to Take Fibo Trim
Take 3 capsules 10-15 minutes before a meal.
Take with a full glass of water and ensure that you drink plenty of water throughout the day.
Do not use in combination with other supplements at the same meal.
Advocare is a direct marketing company so this will not suit everyone. Some people love this type of business model because it appears to offer financial opportunities and a way to top up your income if you become a distributor yourself. However, the downside is that in many cases direct marketing is harder than it appears and many people struggle to make sales.
In many cases, the focus of any direct marketing company is in getting people to join the scheme rather than on the quality and efficacy of the supplements themselves.
In fairness to Advocare, the company has provided full details about Fibo Trim. The way that the supplement works is explained and a full ingredients list is provided. Not all direct marketing companies provide this basic information.
The advantages of joining Advocare as a distributor are outlined on the site – and offer all the usual inducements. It is described as a “powerful business opportunity” and a way to achieve your “ultimate potential”. Advocare was founded in 1993 and sells products in the USA through a network of around 60,000 active independent distributors.
The company is a member of the DSA (Direct Selling Association).
Advocare products are split up into categories including the “Action range – vibrant energy and on the go nutrition” and “Well – nutrition for a healthy balanced lifestyle”.
Fibo Trim comes under the Trim range, which offers “solutions for healthy weight management”. We have covered a Trim supplement before with a review about Advocare Slim a weight loss drink.
- It is essential to drink water all day while taking this supplement. Will customers do this?
- Supplement poses a risk of side effects including diarrhoea and dehydration
- This supplement may be little more than a laxative
What Does Fibo-Trim Claim To Do?
According to the advertising Advocare Fibo Trim delivers five key benefits:
- Assists in the binding, transport and removal of dietary fats
- Aids in the elimination of fatty waste materials
- Helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels that are already within the normal range
- Provides a feeling of fullness and aids in appetite control
- Supports intestinal health and regularity
None of the claims come with any links to clinical evidence or any real explanation about how this supplement will work.
So What Is Fibo-Trim and What Are The Ingredients for Fibo-Trim?
Advocare Fibo Trim is a supplement that the makers claim will prevent fat absorption and reduce feelings of hunger.
Amounts provided here in three capsule servings.
- Chitosan (600mg): In molecular terms, Chitosan is a polysaccharide – a type of carbohydrate composed of D-glucosamine and D-glucosamine and is a naturally occurring sugar found in crab and shrimp shells. Although Chitosan may have medical benefits the clinical testing so far suggests that it only works in combination with a diet and achieves only modest weight loss. There is some evidence that it may cause feelings of satiety. It may lower cholesterol too but the fat binding aspect does not seem to be effective according to human testing. One clinical test carried out on 12 adults concluded, “The fat trapped was clinically insignificant. For men, it would take more than 7 months to lose 1 pound of body fat. For women, no fat was trapped.”
- Guar Gum (400mg): Laxative fibre often used in constipation medication. It absorbs excess moisture of the stool and softens it, making it easier to pass. Guar Gum is also used as a thickener in lotions creams and tablets.
- Xanthan Gum (400mg): Common food thickener and present in many processed food products including salad cream. It is also used in laxatives to increase viscosity and bulk to stools and may be effective in reducing cholesterol levels and blood sugar levels. However it can cause unpleasant side effects such as flatulence and gas.
- Psyllium Husk Powder (350mg): Soluble fiber with laxative effect and used in OTC laxatives including Fybogel. It can cause allergic reactions. The FDA has warned that this material can cause choking. It is very important to take with plenty of water to minimise the risk of swelling in the throat or oesophagus. The product directions mention the importance of taking with plenty of water to avoid discomfort.
- Beta Sisterol (100mg): Natural substance in plants and used to lower LDL (bad cholesterol) levels. However, it does not raise HDL (good cholesterol). It is also effective for treating the symptoms of enlarged prostate. Can cause side effects.
- Odourless garlic bulb (100mg): Well known culinary herb, which may have health benefits. Can lower blood pressure at extremely high doses (600-1200mg) Unlikely to do much here.
- Taurine (50mg): Important acid, which has many biological roles. In the body, it is the major component of bile. Early clinical research suggested that taurine improved mental performance. More recently, this claim has been disputed and more evidence is needed to prove it. Ingredient in Red bull.
Advocare Fibo Trim also contains vitamins:
- Vitamin C (37mg)
- Vitamin E (15 IU)
- Niacin (12mg)
So What Does All This Mean?
The fat binding claims for Chitosan may have been exaggerated. Some clinical evidence suggests it would take men more than a month to lose 1lb of fat so this ingredient appears to be ineffective.
However when combined with Psyllium husk it may work better. A small study tested faecal matter from volunteers and found that,
Chitosan plus Psyllium husk seeds increases faecal fat excretion.
None of these effects are strictly proven and these ingredients require further clinical testing. However, the main way that this supplement will work is as a laxative and as we all know laxatives can help promote weight loss. The downside is that this is a very basic method and can cause dehydration and other side effects. Fibo Trim is not marketed as a simple laxative but essentially this is how it will work.
Does Fibo-Trim Have Any Side Effects?
Advocare Fibo Trim may cause side effects including:
- Flatulence/ Gas
- Stomach cramps
- Increased bowel movements
- Increased bulk to stools
- Unpleasant smelling stools
- Allergic reaction
- Increased risk of dehydration
Avoid if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
Avoid if you are allergic to shell fish because it may cause a reaction. Avoid if you have undiagnosed stomach pain, appendicitis or other stomach issues.
Xanthan gum adds bulk to stools so could be potentially dangerous in these cases.
Psyllium husk can provoke allergic reactions so seek urgent medical attention if you notice raised temperature, chest pain or similar.
Speak to your doctor first if you have any medical issues or are taking prescription medication.
Laxatives can interact with medication so ask your doctor before you start.
Ensure you drink plenty of water while taking.
Any Fibo-Trim Reviews From Customers?
Not many. The good news is that side effects do not appear to be an issue although one customer advised
Just be sure to drink LOTS of water.
She did not provide any further details.
Opinion is mixed. One customer reported:
I am a fan of Advocare but this didn’t seem to work much. I was dieting, running and working out while taking it and I didn’t see any real difference…
Other customers have been more favourable but nobody provides much information,
It works…take b4 lunch and dinner.
Love this product.
So Does Fibo-Trim Work?
It may work a bit. The gum may help add bulk to stools and you may feel more full up so avoid hunger pangs and that awful empty feeling that can derail a healthy diet.
There is some limited evidence that Psyllium husk combined with Chitosan “increases faecal fat excretion” and although this supplement does not reflect the test conditions (A daily serving of six tablets of the test compound contained 2100 mg Chitosan and 300 mg Psyllium husk seeds) it may have a limited effect.
Fiber is effective for weight loss but we feel that including more natural fiber to your regular diet is a better option than taking a supplement. That way you know you are unlikely to experience side effects.
A problem with supplements described as fat binders or fat blockers is that they can lull you into a false sense of security. If you feel you can eat fatty meals and not add to your weight, you may be tempted to over indulge and actually put on weight.
Where Can I Buy Fibo-Trim?
You can buy Advocare Fibo Trim via the Advocare website. Click on the buy it now button and you will be taken to a list of independent distributors. Submit your postcode and you will be shown a list of profiles to choose from. It then seems fairly simple.
Click on your chosen profile – you can ignore the “Hi I’m Kelly and I am a busy mom” stuff and go to the buying page and “add to cart” and buy in the usual way.
The seller we looked at offers one bottle of 60 capsules and costs $37.50. 60 capsules provide between 6 days and 20 days supply. Shipping charges are not specified.
You can contact Advocare customer services or email customer support should you require help from the company.
A more straightforward option is probably to just buy from Amazon.com. 180 capsules of Advocare cost $43.69 and includes free shipping even to non-USA addresses. This is a better deal because it provides between 20 days – 60 days supply.
What About A Guarantee
No money back guarantee appears to be available.
Advocare Fibo Trim looks OK and for a MLM supplement, it is one of the better ones we have seen. It comes with a full ingredients profile and it may even work a bit although it is unlikely that the results will be earth shattering. There is not much proof that Chitosan really works in the way as described but some clinical evidence suggests it may combine with Psyllium.
The downside is that it will cause laxative side effects so you can expect to be spending increased time in the bathroom. It is also important to drink plenty of water while taking or run the risk of dehydration. The directions advise you to take 3 capsules before each meal so potentially you could be taking as many as 9 capsules a day, which is inconvenient and expensive.
We like that Advocare Fibo Trim is easy to buy. You can find a distributor on the Advocare website and see his or her webpage along with products and prices. It seems much less complicated than many of the other direct marketing schemes we have seen. You can also buy Fibo Trim direct from Advocare via Amazon at a much better price making it even easier for customers.
In conclusion, although there are some good points about Advocare Fibo Trim, there are some bad points too and on balance, this supplement is just not good enough for our approved list.