Water retention is a common problem that can leave you looking puffy and feeling bloated. Hydroxatrim, made by US company Vitegrity has a herbal solution to this problem that they describe as the “least understood aspect of your weight.”
- Cannot think of any good reason for taking this supplement
- Contains potentially dangerous ingredients
- Likely to cause dehydration
- Incomplete ingredients profile
- No money-back guarantee
- Hydroxatrim is made by Vitegrity Supplements
- Each bottle contains 50 capsules – 10 days supply
- Hydroxatrim is a powerful diuretic
Hydroxatrim is a diet pill that does not target fat and the usual features of weight gain. Instead, it is purely and simply about removing the problem of water retention with some herbal ingredients, most of which have a diuretic effect i.e. they make you urinate more frequently.
Hydroxatrim contains a range of natural ingredients including dandelion, Urva ursi and hydrangea root and according to the Hydroxatrim advertising these natural ingredients (and the others in the formula) are less harsh than prescription pills.
We are not so sure. Just because an ingredient is natural does not mean it is safe and the ingredients contained in Hydroxatrim do raise a few concerns at first glance.
Most of the ingredients are strong diuretics and this combination seems likely to lead to dehydration and the loss of vital minerals and electrolytes.
Regardless of what the advertising claims, this supplement is not a gentle natural way of gently expelling water from your body. It is strong and it will have a strong effect. You are going to be spending a lot of time in the bathroom!
Some of the ingredients have other issues. Urva Ursi for example will not suit you if you are trying to conceive because this herbal plant is sometimes used to induce childbirth.
How to take Hydroxatrim
To use Hydroxatrim, you are recommended to take 5 Hydroxatrim capsules after your morning meal. (Yes you read that right – that’s five capsules) with 16 ounces of water.
You may also take 3 Hydroxatrim capsules after breakfast and take 2 more Hydroxatrim capsules after your lunch.
Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily. Do not exceed suggested dosage.
Hydroxatrim is made by Vitegrity – an American supplements company who are based in Florida and according to the website are a family business but provide no further details about this point.
Vitegrity sell a range of supplements related to health and weight. We covered and rejected their diet pill Slendatrim in a previous review on the grounds that it looked ok but not quite good enough.
Vitegrity also sell Anxietall – a supplement that is described as an “all natural helper that can ease anxiety and depression symptoms”, a detox cleanser called Colopurex which comes with plenty of mumbo jumbo explanations about “toxins”. They also sell various products with a specific application such as Meno freeze – a menopause symptoms cure.
Hydroxatrim is equally specialised and is solely about water retention. It will not help you lose weight or any fat.
- This supplement is too strong for mild water retention problem
- Will it cause more problems than it helps to cure?
- May cause unforeseen side effects such as increased menstrual bleeding
What Does Hydroxatrim Claim To Do?
Hydroxatrim makes a lot of claims. According to the advertising, this supplement:
Gets Rid of Extra Weight, Bloat and Puffiness Caused by Fluid Retention” and offers” Safe, Natural & Effective Relief – No Harsh Diuretic Side Effects
The answer to water retention is apparently;
As Simple As Visiting The Little Girls or Boys Room…
According to the product website, if you have water retention,
Hydroxatrim’s power will come to your aid in just hours!
Restoring your body’s healthy, natural fluid balance is Hydroxatrim’s job and it is VERY good at it! Bloating and fluid retention, your days are numbered!
The advertising goes on to talk a little about the horror that is water retention.
Water retention (excess fluid) is an annoyance for the millions who have to deal with the bloating, the swelling, puffiness and blah feeling you have about yourself when you are looking larger than you actually are.
People lose their confidence and your self esteem takes a hit, when you are not looking and feeling your best from having excess water in your system
But is this really true? Does having water retention really have such a devastating effect? What is a blah feeling anyway?
Is it possible that people who are overweight might be kidding themselves into believing that their weight gain is water and not fat?
Water retention is real but in most cases, losing weight and getting fitter will help the condition and make you feel better about yourself too. We cannot see why taking a product to make you urinate more will help. It may lead to dehydration and actually make it worse.
So What Is Hydroxatrim and What Are The Ingredients For Hydroxatrim?
Hydroxatrim is a herbal pill that will make you visit the bathroom more in the hope that you will lose water weight, bloating and puffiness.
Each serving is 5 capsules but because the herbal ingredients are a proprietary blend we cannot give a fully accurate breakdown. There is a whopping 3290mg of active ingredients per serving of this formula.
- Dandelion leaf extract: This commonplace garden weed acts as a diuretic, which means it makes you urinate more. In fact its folk name in the UK is “wet the bed” so it is self-explanatory. It is touted for many health conditions but there is a lack of medical evidence surrounding its efficacy.
Source: WebMD Resource
- Urva Ursi: This natural plant extract is believed to be effective for urinary tract disorders and kidney infections. Has a diuretic effect and lacks evidence regarding long-term safety. May interact with medication and can cause gastrointestinal side effects. It can also induce labour so should not be used if you are pregnant or trying to conceive.
- Buchu leaf Extract: This plant is found in South Africa and is a well-known herbal treatment for urinary infections and STDS although it lacks clinical evidence. It is a diuretic
- Juniper Berry Extract: This natural berry is best known as the flavouring in gin but is also used in other food preparations and as a fragrance in cosmetics and soaps. It is a powerful diuretic and according to the Hydroxatrim, information is here to increase the mount of urine excretion.
- Green Tea Extract: According to the Hydroxatrim information, Green tea has a diuretic effect that will help you shed water weight. This is not actually true beyond the small amounts of caffeine that this ingredient contains. However, green tea is good for health because it is rich in antioxidants and one of the better ingredients in this formula.
- Parsley: Much loved cooking herb with some positive benefits for health. It may stimulate the appetite and improve your digestion – many of us know this by experience. However, it may also increase urine output and increase menstrual flow. Medicinal doses of parsley can induce abortion and it is actually known for causing water retention by causing the body to hold salt.
- Hydrangea Root Extract: This can be dangerous in high quantities and you should not take this ingredient for any more than a few days. It causes increased urine out put.
- Corn Silk Powder: Is also known as maize flowers is a diuretic and an herbal remedy for urinary disorders.
- Cranberry: Natural berry extract that is often used to prevent urinary tract infections, because of its anti bacterial properties. The European Food Safety Authority has concluded there is insufficient evidence that proves this, but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that says it does.
- Vitamin B6 (pyroxidine) 20mg: Crucial vitamin, which is important for healthy blood cell function.
- Magnesium citrate (30mg): Magnesium is a natural mineral, which is important for many systems in the body, especially the muscles and nerves. Magnesium citrate has a strong laxative effect. It can come on within ½ hour to 6 hours of taking.
- Potassium Gluconate (99mg): This a mineral supplement that is used to prevent low potassium levels in the blood. Potassium is vital for health and vomiting, diarrhoea or water tablets can deplete well-being and the body’s supply.
So What Does All This Mean?
This supplement is making us shudder, just looking at the ingredients list. Each five capsule dose contains a whopping 3290mg of active ingredients in the formula alone! There is nothing gentle about this supplement at all and remember that just because a so called medicine comes from natural plant sources, this does not mean it is safe. This combination comes with no clinical testing or scientific backing. Any side effects and you are totally on your own.
Apart from green tea, all the ingredients are known as being strong diuretics, plus you have magnesium citrate, which is a laxative. The potassium gluconate is there to replace lost minerals, which you have already lost through excessive urination and quite probably diarrhoea as well. All totally unnecessary.
If water retention is a serious problem for you, visiting a doctor for advice on what to take will undoubtedly be much safer than taking this.
If your water retention problem is less extreme, we suggest you try to make diet and life style changes in order to improve the condition. Losing some weight and taking some exercise will really help too.
Does Hydroxatrim Have Any Side Effects?
There is very little customer feedback so we cannot bring you any true-life experiences.
However, potential side effects may include;
- Increased urine output
- Increase menstrual flow
- Chest tightness
- Green/brown tint to urine
Caution: Definitely avoid if breast feeding, pregnant or trying to conceive. Uva Ursi is sometimes used to induce labour so may cause miscarriage. High doses of parsley also has this effect. Do not use this supplement if you are taking medication for depression. If you do take it, ensure you drink plenty of water.
Any Hydroxatrim Reviews From Customers?
There are only a few customer reviews. Most people have water retention because of another medical condition and have looked to Hydroxatrim as an alternative to prescription medication.
One customer was not satisfied. She wrote;
This product did not work at all. I saw my family care physician and she put me on an “actual” diuretic and it worked immediately. I would not waste my money again. I would give this product no stars.
However, another customer was more pleased having developed water retention as a side effect of a prescription drug:
Hydroxatrim rid me of that puffy, bloated feeling that comes with taking artificial modern drugs.
An MD had recommended a ‘water pill’ that sure did work–but the side effects made life not worth living.
H did the same, more slowly, but without the least annoyance. I need now to replace the ‘miracle pill’ that causes the distress.
So Does Hydroxatrim Work?
We think it does probably work for some people but if you suffer from a water retention condition that is bad enough to seek medical advice, you should in fact seek medical advice and ask your doctor’s opinion.
We do not advise you take this pill in order to lose “water weight” and make yourself look thinner. Your health is important and staying on water retention pills could cause problems with side effects and dehydration. It just is not worth it.
Where Can I Buy Hydroxatrim?
You can buy Hydroxatrim direct from the product website.
One bottle of Hydroxatrim contains 50 capsules (10 days supply) and costs $29.95. If you buy from the website, you can also get a Vitagritea a green tea supplement as a gift. You can also make savings and get more gifts on larger orders. 3 bottles of Hydroxatrim costs $86.97 and comes with free gifts of one extra free bottle and a bottle of Vitagritea – the green tea supplement plus free shipping to US addresses.
Hydroxatrim is also available via eBay and amazon.com. If you buy from Amazon.com one bottle of Hydroxatrim costs $29.95 plus $7.95 shipping.
Hydroxatrim is not available direct to UK customers. If you live outside the USA, you will need to contact Vitegrity to find out shipping details and costs.
What About A Guarantee
No money back guarantee on offer.
We are not very impressed with Hydroxatrim. We think this supplement actually looks dangerous and could cause real problems to health especially if you stayed on it for too long.
Medical advice is to only take hydrangea root supplements for a few days at most so bulk buying this supplement is not recommended even if it does come with a free gift of a tea supplement.
Water retention is annoying but putting it “right” with Hydroxatrim is not going to help. If this is a problem for you, we suggest you seek medical advice and try to make life style and dietary changes to cure it.
Yes, water retention can be a side effect of drugs and in some cases; you may need a prescription medicine to cure it. These can have side effects too. However if you are looking for a “gentle and natural safe remedy”, this supplement is not the answer. It is not gentle. It does not seem safe and for most people is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It is far too strong for casual use and could lead to problems that are worse than the condition you are trying to improve.
We would not take this ourselves and can see no reason why we should recommend anyone else to take it either. It is an easy decision; we reject Hydroxatrim diet pills.