Mangotone is made by Jersey based company Health Spark and is on sale from Holland & Barrett. It looks to offer some general support for weight loss but not many people appear to have tried this supplement.
- Seems safe and should not cause too many side effects
- Clear ingredients information
- Sold by a reputable company
- Inadequate ingredients quantities
- Lack of evidence that proves effectiveness
- Expensive at 50p a capsule
- Made by UK company Health Spark
- Each bottle contains a 2 month supply
- Can buy Mangotone from Holland & Barrett
Health Spark Mangotone is a weight loss supplement which offers general support and if taken in combination with a healthy diet and exercise regime may lead you to lose some weight.
It contains a range of ingredients that are currently popular including raspberry ketones, African mango, green tea and Acai. Not so well known is Baobab – a fruit extract with a high nutritional value that grows on the Baobab tree native to Madagascar.
The principle ingredient is raspberry ketones. This fruit extract made from the phenolic compound of raspberries, the part that gives raspberries their distinctive smell, has been described as providing miracle weight loss but lacks any evidence that it does this.
Mangotone also contains African Mango (Irvingia Gabonensis) a fibre rich seed extract. It has undergone limited clinical testing and when taken at high levels appear to reduce cholesterol and hunger pangs.
Many diet pills contain high levels of stimulants. However, Mangotone does not and with just 25mg of Guarana, which contains caffeine, it should not be any stronger than the equivalent of half a cup of coffee.
Despite all this, Mangotone is not going to set the world alight. The ingredients in the capsules are in low quantities and may not be in sufficient quantities to have much of an effect. In truth, it is hard to see exactly what this supplement is supposed to do and the product information does not explain this either.
Mangotone is made by Health Spark. This Jersey based supplements company market a whole range of nutritional supplements mainly around diet and weight loss but also other health issues such as sexual health, sleep, joint and bone support and men’s health.
Other weight loss products include Acai Extreme – an Acai supplement, Green Coffee Complex and Garcinia Cambogia complex.
Health Spark also sell a high strength Raspberry Ketone supplement which would be a safer bet and far cheaper than all these free trials that are currently on offer if you wanted to try out this so called miracle ingredient for yourself.
All Health Spark supplements are manufactured within the UK and conform to GMP (good manufacturing practice).
Surprisingly Mangotone is not on sale via the Health Spark website. Instead, it seems to be exclusive to Holland and Barrett. This is a shame because Health Spark offers a full guarantee on their products but the plus side is that Holland and Barrett are well known and reputable. If you live n the UK, you can simply buy from the High Street.
To use Mangotone you are advised to take one capsule daily with food.
- Long term effects of ingredients unknown
- May not help you lose any weight
- Could be a waste of money
What Does Mangotone Claim To Do?
The Holland & Barrett advertising does not make many claims for Mangotone. That is not their style and although we like this lack of hype, it does not make it easy for customers.
However, Mangotone is described as:
A superb combination of Raspberry Ketone, Wild Mango, Acai, Baobab, N-Acetyl L-Carnitine, Green Tea and Guarana.
The product information explains some of the ingredients,
African Mango comes from an African tree that grows edible mango-like fruits. The extract from the Irvingia Gabonensis seed is a soluble fibre.
The Baobab tree Adansoniadigitata is a member of the Bombacaceae family and is also known as the “upside down tree”. It produces large green or brownish fruits, which contain a soft whitish powdery pulp and kidney-shaped seeds. Baobab has a high nutritional value.
So What Is Mangotone and What Are The Ingredients For Mangotone?
Mangotone is a general-purpose weight loss supplement that may offer you some general support. To get any success you will need to combine it with lifestyle and dietary changes. Each serving is equal to one capsule.
- Raspberry Ketones (198mg): Animal testing has indicated that extremely high doses of Raspberry Ketones change the metabolism and helps prevent the formation of lipids and fats. However, this ingredient has never been tested on humans and what works for guinea pigs, rats and mice does not necessarily work for humans. The medical opinion is that the claims for raspberry ketones are over inflated.
- Irvingia Gabonensis Extract (100mg): Also known as African mango, this seed extract has had some limited clinical testing. The University of Cameroon found that it helps create metabolic pathways i.e. may improve leptin resistance and help weight loss. African mango is a common part of diet in West Africa and could help prevent obesity if more people eat it in natural form.
The clinical test reported that;
Significant improvements in body weight, body fat, and waist circumference as well as plasma total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, blood glucose, C-reactive protein, adiponectin and leptin levels were observed in the control group compared with the placebo group.
However, this is only one test carried out on 102 volunteers and it does require further testing.
- Baobab (50mg): The Baobab tree grows in Africa and has a hard shelled fruit that contains a natural powder inside. This powder has long been known as promoting good health and it is used as a dietary supplement for pregnant women and nursing mothers. It has high levels of antioxidants, making it comparable with blueberries and Goji berries, and six times more vitamin C content than oranges. It is also a powerful source of potassium and calcium.
- N-Acetyl L-Carnitine 25mg: This amino acid helps the body convert fat into energy and is a natural substance produced in your kidneys and liver and stored in the muscles, heart and brain. Taking L Carnitine supplements can be effective for some medical conditions but there is no evidence that it helps with weight loss.
- Green Tea (25mg): Green tea contains high levels of antioxidants and research has suggested that it may play a role in helping to promote fat oxidation or fat burning. Although in INCREDIBLY low quantities here, green tea may help promote good health.
- Guarana Extract (25mg): This South American berry contains high levels of caffeine – more than the coffee bean. Here to provide a mild stimulant effect but unless you are hyper sensitive to caffeine you may not notice the effect.
- Acai 4:1 Extract (25mg): A well known superfruit known for its high levels of antioxidants. This is a safe ingredient that is well known as a diet supplement and clinical testing has shown that in sufficient quantities it may have an effect on health and metabolism. However, at 25mg it is probably insufficient here.
So What Does All This Mean?
Mangotone contains several ingredients that are well known for their high antioxidant content. Antioxidants are molecules that inhibit the oxidation of other molecules and are beneficial for health. Oxidatiative stress plays a role in diseases such as cancer so ensuring your diet is healthy and contains plenty of green vegetables (at least 5 a day) will help. Certain types of antioxidants play a role in the metabolism and can help you burn off fat more efficiently.
This supplement also contains the fibrous African mango seed extract, which seems to reduce appetite when taken in high levels as well as reduce cholesterol and lipids. However, the results of the clinical test were based on 150mg a day so slightly inadequate dose here.
Mangotone may not help you lose much weight but if you regard this supplement as general health support, rather than a diet pill it may help you maintain good health throughout your own weight loss efforts such as a healthy diet and increased exercise.
Does Mangotone Have Any Side Effects?
It is highly unlikely that that Mangotone will cause too many side effects. If you are extremely sensitive to caffeine, it won’t suit you but otherwise there do not seem to be many issues.
It is important to remember that many of these ingredients such as raspberry ketones and Baobab for example are simply untested for long-term effects and possible interactions.
Potential side effects are rare but may include:
- Sleep disturbances
- Stomach upset
Avoid if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Do not take if you suffer from an under active thyroid and seek the advice of your doctor if you have any underlying health condition.
Avoid if you are taking blood clotting medication because of interactions.
See your doctor if you are taking any type of prescription medication in case of further interactions.
Any Mangotone Reviews From Customers?
Only a few. Mangotone is not on sale via Amazon but there are a couple of product reviews on the Holland & Barrett website.
One customer was pleased but had a suggestion to improve the formula in his opinion,
Very satisfied. An excellent combination of high-quality ingredients. Would suggest the addition of slippery elm to make it perfect.
Another customer reported,
It’s an Excellent Product, for the health and wealth.
But not everyone is as pleased. One lady wrote,
Did not make any difference what so ever, save your money.
Another reviewer could not decide,
I have been taking these for 2 weeks now and I’m yet to see any real results, I will persevere till the end of the pack and then see if it works.
So Does Mangotone Work?
Most of the clinical testing of the ingredients contained in Mangotone such as green tea and African Mango seeds, have used higher quantities in order to prove any weight loss effect and we feel that quantities here may be insufficient. Raspberry Ketones is the principle ingredient and that comes with little clinical testing.
We don’t think this supplement will do much for weight loss but it may help with general health. Taking antioxidant rich natural ingredients in a supplement may help support good health and for most people should not cause any unpleasant side effects.
If you combine it with your own weight loss plan – a healthy diet and some exercise you may lose weight.
Where Can I Buy Mangotone?
You can buy Mangotone from British health food chain Holland & Barrett. One bottle of 60 capsules costs £29.99 (50p a capsule) and is enough for two months supply if you take as recommended. Delivery is free.
Mangotone is not available from the maker’s Health Spark. Nor is it available via US or UK Amazon.
If you wish to buy from outside the UK, Holland & Barrett charge from £6.95 for international delivery depending on location.
What About A Guarantee
Holland & Barrett do not provide a money back guarantee.
Mangotone is an OK supplement but is hardly going to set the world alight! It does contain some well-known ingredients but these are mostly in inadequate quantities to have much of an effect upon weight loss.
However, the plus points are that it seems fairly safe and it may help promote good health so if you take it in combination with a healthy diet and exercise plan it may help you lose weight.
The downside is that we cannot actually see it doing much.
After all, if you wanted to take a health supplement you could probably find a vitamin supplement at a cheaper price. Including more antioxidant rich foodstuffs such as green veg and fruit into your diet will help too.
This supplement contains some of the big weight loss names, such as raspberry ketones and even though the claims have been overhyped and remain unproven, you are paying extra for these “Premier League” ingredients.
It is also important to remember that the long-term safety effects of some of these ingredients have been untested so anyone who takes raspberry ketones for example is essentially playing the role of a guinea pig!
Finally, at £29.99 Mangotone is fairly expensive for what is probably no more than a placebo effect when it comes to weight loss.
We have seen much worse supplements on the market but the bottom line is that Mangotone simply does not look good enough to make it onto our approved list.