We take a look at Metabolife Extreme Energy to find out more.
Extreme Energy Pros
- Possible energy boost
- Some positive feedback
Extreme Energy Cons
- High risk of a wide range of side effects
- Important health information not displayed in a prominent position
- Not suitable for use as a weight loss supplement without medical advice
Metabolife Extreme Energy Review
Extreme Energy Facts
- Supplement is made in the USA by Twinlab Corporation
- Each bottle contains 50 capsules or 25 servings
- The Metabolife website offers some weight loss advice
Metabolife is a US diet pill that comes with the claims that it will support weight loss and get you over the loss of energy and fatigue that can be associated with dieting. It contains Guarana extract – a plant extract with high levels of caffeine, plus Green Tea extract and Yerba Mate.
There are also some lesser known ingredients such as Rhodiola (Golden Rod) and two types of Ginseng both believed to work as an adaptogen- a non technical term for something supposed to cause general well being and boost your immune system and energy levels.
In addition, Metabolife Extreme Energy contains some vitamins and magnesium a vital mineral that is sometimes lacking from diet.
At first glance this supplement does not look too bad. Nonetheless we are concerned about some of the claims made by the Metabolife advertising. This idea that weight loss causes fatigue is not strictly true. Obviously if you are trying to lose weight by adopting a crash diet and starving yourself, you will become tired but weight loss does not have to be as unpleasant at this.
Making dietary changes that you can live with is the key to success. You should not be feeling hungry and fatigued all the time.
The Metabolife website comes with plenty of information about how to lose weight and you can download a free kit to help you. Some of the weight loss tips are helpful such as keep a food diary and the power of positive thinking.
However, a BMI (Body Mass Index) calculator provided by the website is unusual and is throwing up some alarming results.
One of the Watchdog team tapped in her details and found that according to Metabolife she was dangerously overweight with 35% fat. However, the same details entered into other BMI calculators, including the ones provided by the NHS and the CDC (US Center for Disease Control), showed that she was well within normal range with a 22.8 reading.
This is alarming for a couple of reasons. The most serious is that the Metabolife calculator is so accurate that people are showing up as dangerously overweight and they don’t realise. This seems unlikely given that the reputable health authorities provide the standard BMI calculation.
But this type of higher reading will encourage people to believe that they are fat and possibly look to diet pills such as Metabolife Extreme Energy, when they may not have any cause. If we were cynical, we would think that this was done to encourage people into believing they have a weight problem.
Metabolife supplements are made in the USA and this company is part of the Twinlab Corporation based in New York. Twinlab manufacture over 500 supplements from their Utah manufacturing plant and also have a research and development facility in Michigan.
All supplements fully conform to GMP standards and bear the NSF mark – a national quality mark that means manufacturers comply with industry standards and have been verified as such by independent testing.
Metabolife Extreme Energy Concerns:
- This supplement is not suitable for regular use. It is only supposed to be taken occasionally but will customers realise?
- May cause potentially dangerous side effects
- Are Metabolite trying to scare people into believing they are overweight by use of an alarming BMI calculator?
What Does Metabolife Extreme Energy Claim To Do?
According to the product information:
Metabolife® Extreme Energy helps you to overcome the fatigue that often accompanies weight loss due to decreased caloric intake, helping keep you energized, mentally alert, and motivated to continue with your diet and exercise plan.
The advertising further explains,
You’ve worked hard to lose those extra pounds. But decreasing the number of calories you take in can leave you feeling sluggish, making it difficult to stick with your weight loss program.
The conclusion is that,
Metabolife Extreme Energy is designed to provide you with an additional boost of energy to help maintain your lifestyle and keep you fuelled to continue with your weight management plan.
Apparently, the ingredients work ‘synergistically to help increase energy, improve mental alertness, and increase metabolism’, but there is no evidence provided that this supplement will achieve any of these claims.
So What Is Metabolife Extreme Energy and What Are The Ingredients For Metabolife Extreme Energy?
Metabolife Extreme Energy is a diet pill that the makers claim will increase energy levels and metabolism in order to support weight loss. Each serving is equal to two capsules and amount quantities here are equal to one serving. There is 200mg of caffeine per serving.
- Niacin (30mg): When taken at high levels Niacinamide or vitamin B3 can lower cholesterol levels and promote heart health. The RDA is set at 14mg daily for women so this supplement seems high. Niacin is present in many foods including green veg and eggs. It can cause stomach upsets, flushing and facial redness if you have too much of it.
- Pantothenic Acid (20mg): Vitamin B5 is an important vitamin found in green veg, meat dairy products and eggs. It plays a role in the destabilisation of fat and cholesterol but is also taken to improve Attention Deficit Disorder and for a long list of conditions including arthritis. When taken in combination with Thiamine (as here) it is believed to improve athletic endurance but lacks evidence. The RDA is 4mg. In excessive amounts here.
- Magnesium Oxide Amino Acid Chelate (50mg): Magnesium is a natural mineral, which is important for many systems in the body, especially the muscles and nerves. It is obtainable by a balanced diet and the RDA of magnesium is around 400mg.
- Guarana Extract: Natural South African berry that contains high levels of caffeine which is why it is included as a stimulant in many diet pills. Guarana works in exactly the same way as caffeine and may increase energy and the metabolism. It also has the side effects of caffeine.
- Asian Ginseng (root): Also known as Panax ginseng, this ingredient is known as an adaptogen meaning it can promote general well being and it is used to boost mental performance and to combat fatigue. However, the effects can be unpredictable and it is known to cause a range of side effects.
- Green Tea Extract:Clinical investigation has found that green tea has proven health benefits and the antioxidants (ECGC and polyphenols) found to have anti obesity and fat burning properties because of the effects upon the metabolism. When tested in combination with gurana it appeared to increase energy expenditure and fat oxidation. May raise heart rate and blood pressure.
- Yerba Mate Extract: May be effective for weight loss because of its high levels of flavanoids and antioxidants. Contains caffeine.
- Eleuthero Extract (root): Also called Siberian Ginseng and believed to increase stamina and concentration but no real testing as yet on humans. Can be dangerous if you have any type of heart condition.
- Rhodiola Extract (root): Comes from wild plant Golden Rod and is taken as a supplement in Russia to combat depression. It may have an anti fatigue effect and it seems to be effective against mild depression.
- Theanine:Vitamin B1 also called Thiamine. Water-soluble vitamin that is essential for health and present in many normal foods including, yeast and cereal grains – High doses of Thiamine may improve mental capacity.
So What Does All This Mean?
Metabolife Extreme Energy contains ingredients, which are believed to increase energy levels and combat fatigue that go beyond the simple effects of caffeine. However, the ingredient amounts in the branded formula are not specified and we are concerned about the ginseng because both varieties are known to be unpredictable and can cause many side effects.
The Green tea/ Guarana combination has been found to promote weight loss in limited clinical testing and there is also evidence that vitamin B1 is effective for improving mental capacity when taken in extremely high doses.
The downside is that we do not know the amounts contained in this supplement and whether it is strong enough to work yet keep within safe boundaries. This supplement will probably raise heart and blood pressure and may cause other side effects.
Does Metabolife Extreme Energy Have Any Side Effects?
There is very little customer feedback available for Metabolife Extreme Energy but nobody has mentioned side effects beyond causing an energy crash.
One customer reported:
If taken every four hours as suggested it works perfectly. But you will crash! Also you have to remember to eat.
The ingredients may cause a wide range of issues so this lack of reported side effects does not mean it is safe for everyone.
Side effects may include:
- Increased heart rate
- Increased blood pressure
- Decreased appetite
- Skin irritation
- Skin rash and hives
- Facial redness and flushing
- Menstrual problems
- Allergic reaction
Avoid if pregnant , breast feeding or trying to conceive.
One of the compounds in Panax Ginseng is known for causing birth abnormalities.
The product information advises you to contact a health professional before use if you have or have had:
- High blood pressure
- Any heart condition
- Circulation problems
- Sensitivity to caffeine or other stimulants
- Anxiety or other mood disorders
- Any other medical condition
You are also advised to seek medical advice first if you are taking medication (including anti depressants) because this supplement will cause drug interactions.
If you experience an allergic reaction, such as skin irritation, nausea, headaches or breathlessness discontinue use and seek medical attention immediately. (Remember to take the bottle with you).
Buried away in the small print Metabolife warn that this supplement is for ‘occasional use only’ and that you should see your doctor if you ‘intend on taking to reduce weight.’ This is not the impression that people will get from the advertising. The information is all about using this pill to lose weight and to take every day.
Any Metabolife Extreme Energy Reviews From Customers?
Only a few. At the time of writing we found five. One customer reported,
It’s pretty much like any other diet pill I’ve taken. Gave me quite a bit of energy, but no miracle pill-darn it! I used up the whole bottle, but don’t think I will purchase more.
However most customer comments are more positive,
I really like this product and it is the second time I order it. I only take it once a day and it is enough that I don’t feel tired in the afternoon. It does not make me jittery.
It works great for me. In fact, I am going to order more later this week. It gives just the right amount of help that I need to help for my diet and gives me energy too. I have tried other products and this works better than any of them.
So Does Metabolife Extreme Energy Work?
Yes, we think it does work as a stimulant and if you use it occasionally, it may perk you up. However according to the product information, you should not use it for losing weight without first seeking the advice of your doctor.
Some of the ingredients come with evidence that they have an effect upon mental energy and may help combat fatigue. The green tea and caffeine combination may increase the speed of the metabolism and comes with some evidence that it may cause a slight fat burning effect.
Some people take Rhodiola supplements simply for the stimulant effect and find that it works and many people believe in the power of ginseng. However taking regularly for weight loss support may cause side effects and is not advisable even by the manufacturers of this supplement. The risk of side effects is high and may be potentially dangerous.
Where Can I Buy Metabolife Extreme Energy?
You can buy Metabolife Extreme Energy direct from the Metabolife website. One bottle of 50 capsules (25 servings) costs $18.99. Shipping costs and details are not specified.
Metabolife supplements are also available from a range of independent sellers including Lucky Vitamin. You can also buy Metabolife Extreme Energy from Amazon. 50 capsules (25 servings) costs $14.98 plus $5.98 shipping.
UK customers can find Metabolife Extreme Energy on sale via Amazon
50 capsules (25 servings) costs £29.93 and includes free shipping to UK addresses.
What About A Guarantee
No money back guarantee on offer.
Metabolife Extreme Energy does seem to live up to its name and may provide you with a quick energy burst. However, the product information warns you against taking this for weight loss without medical advice yet this important information is buried away in the small print.
We are concerned about the weight loss advice offered by the company. The unusual BMI calculator is going to show that most people have a weight problem and we feel that it is here simply to urge people into thinking they are overweight so will look to this supplement as a solution.
Metabolife Extreme Energy contains some natural extracts but this does not mean that they are safe because many of the ingredients are known to cause side effects and allergic reactions.
In its favour, Metabolife Extreme Energy does have some positive feedback but with only a handful of comments is this really enough to take seriously? We think not.
In conclusion, if you wanted an occasional stimulant to get through the day then Metabolife Extreme Energy may fit the bill. The downside is that you are only supposed to use this supplement occasionally and very few people will realise this important point.
It is an easy decision. This supplement is not safe enough to recommend and so we have no other choice but to reject Metabolife Extreme Energy.