Is MetaboLife Ultra a caffeine supplement with a few other weight loss ingredients thrown in? We take a look to find out if this is the real deal!
Metabolife Ultra Pros
- Seems fairly inexpensive
Metabolife Ultra Cons
- May contain lots of caffeine
- Proprietary blend – ingredient amounts not fully disclosed
- Lacks clinical data to support claims
- No money-back guarantee
Metabolife Ultra Review
Metabolife Ultra Facts
- Manufactured by Twinlab Corporation Inc
- All MetaboLife supplements are banned ingredient free
- MetaboLife Caffeine Free for consumers sensitive to stimulants
The first MetaboLife diet pills had a somewhat checked past when owned by MetaboLife International, with reports of suspected Tax Evasion and manufacturing drugs in the same labs. You can read more on this here: MetaboLife Owners Suspected of Tax Evasion and Investigation of Metabolife Diet Pill Founder
A question we have also been asked is “Where can I find MetaboLife 365?”
Well this product was discontinued in 2003 as it contained the banned ingredient in a supplement called MetaboLife 365. The FDA banned the use of this ingredient due to its dangerous side effects. We should add that this supplement was then owned by MetaboLife International Inc, in late 2005 all the non-banned supplements were sold to IdeaSphere who continue to market and sell these brands.
These days all of the MetaboLife supplements are banned ingredient free – good to hear!
This is all in the past though and thankfully there seems to be little or no connection to these earlier “dodgy” practices. Now the MetaboLife range of supplements are part of the Twinlab Corporation who were founded way back in 1968 and own a number of health and weight loss brands.
A popular practice these days is to offer a stimulant free version for those consumers sensitive to caffeine; this company follows the same approach with their MetaboLife Caffeine Free version.
There is also an antioxidant version that includes Green Tea, cleverly named MetaboLife Green Tea.
You are recommended to take 2 capsules 3 times per day approximately 30-60 minutes before your meal, ensuring at least 3 to 4 hours between each serving. You should not take more than 6 capsules each day.
Metabolife Ultra Concerns:
- How much caffeine? Looks to contain a fair amount of caffeine that could cause unwanted side effects!
- Lack of any clinical references to support claims
- Looks to be cheaper than it really is as one bottle will not last one month
What Does Metabolife Ultra Claim To Do?
The manufacturers claim this supplement is a “breakthrough appetite suppressant that is specially formulated for sustained energy”.
By taking Metabolife Ultra they claim it can help you…
overcome these weight loss obstacles with a specialized formula that helps increase your energy levels while also curbing your appetite
The new formula claims to do this by including ingredients that promote “sustained energy”. What are these impressive sounding ingredients, let’s take a look.
So What Is Metabolife Ultra and What Are The Ingredients For Metabolife Ultra?
Most of the ingredients are wrapped in a proprietary blend so we only know the amounts of two ingredients, namely Calcium and Chromemate.
- Calcium (140mg):Essential for many processes in the body, most notably for mineralisation of bone and teeth. Research with mice has found that “high calcium” diets may reduce body fat storage, especially calcium from dairy products. Studies with humans have suggested similar results, meaning that a diet rich in low-fat dairy foods rich in calcium can aid weight loss. Recommended dosages suggested are around 1,100mg per day, this supplement is far from enough!
- Chromemate as Chromium Piccolinate (133mcg): Found in many diet pills as anecdotal evidence suggests it can help burn and boost energy levels. Recently an in-depth study by the National Institute of Health has found this ingredient to be in-effective for weight loss.
The proprietary blend contains 1736mg of ingredients; none of the individual amounts are disclosed. This is concerning as we have NO IDEA exactly how much caffeine is present! That said we have discovered reports of 75mg of caffeine in each capsule from a few sources.
Let’s take a look at Metabolife Ultra’s proprietary blend:
- Super CitriMax (Garcinia Extract): Dried fruit rind of Garcinia cambogia that contains hydroxycitric acid (HCA) that has been used for centuries in Southeast Asia to suppress appetite. Studies by Interhealth Nutraceuticals who produce and own this patented compound have argued 500mg daily consumption can significantly reduce body weight. There is just no idea how much is included in MetaboLife Ultra!
- Caffeine: Popular ingredient in many diet pills as there is good evidence to suggest it can boost metabolism and also help suppress appetite. No indication of exactly how much is included in this supplement, which could potentially be bad news if you are susceptible to high dosages of caffeine.
- Co-Enzyme Q-10: A natural coenzyme in the body, increased quantities are said to help break down fat and convert it to energy. There is anecdotal evidence that it can help “when combined with a low-calorie diet” but no indications of exact quantities used here.
So What Does All This Mean?
This looks more like a caffeine pill than anything else! There are a few other ingredients that may help weight loss but it’s impossible to tell, without knowing the full ingredient profile.
You take a lot of pills each day, especially for a fat burner. This supplement is not likely to be suitable for the feint hearted as it seems to be stimulant heavy and could cause side effects in those particular sensitive.
Appears to be a cheap product but the cost is somewhat deceptive, more on this later.
Does Metabolife Ultra Have Any Side Effects?
If the reports about the amounts of caffeine in 1 capsule are true then each serving of 2 capsules is equivalent to 1-2 cups of coffee. Consumers who are sensitive to stimulants could well find this supplement too much! In this case you are likely to experience jittery side effects and possibly nausea, insomnia and headaches.
The daily servings of MetaboLife Ultra means you could be consuming caffeine content equivalent to between 3 and 6 cups of coffee! Taking high levels of caffeine for long periods of time can be addictive and may cause health related side effects.
Caution: If you have any medical conditions, such as high blood pressure, anxiety or mood disorders, sensitivity to stimulants, then please consult your physician prior to taking this supplement. You are advised to avoid if you’re pregnant or a nursing mother.
Any Metabolife Ultra Reviews From Customers?
We found 20 Amazon customer reviews at the time of reviewing this product (1st October 2012). The feedback was very mixed with the majority of testimonials (40%) giving it a poor 1 star rating! 25% of consumers gave it the full 5 stars. It’s worth highlighting that there aren’t many independent reviews of this supplement.
So Does Metabolife Ultra Work?
There is little doubt that this diet pill contains a fair amount of caffeine. This is a common practice amongst diet pill manufacturers as they can then legitimately say it can promote weight loss. For caffeine is known to have positive weight loss benefits, from primarily boosting metabolism along with helping to reduce your desire to eat, although the effects are not thought to be long-term (Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/HQ00369).
The effects of caffeine though are short-lived and can soon get used to its effects. This ingredient would explain the extra energy boost but is hardly a “sustained energy formula”!
The other noteworthy ingredient is Super Citimax which is produced and owend by Interhealth Nutraceuticals Inc., who conducts their own research on and markets this compound to diet pill manufacturers. SuperCitimax is a patented form of the dried fruit Garcinia cambogia and according to Interhealth has compelling evidence for supporting its weight loss claims. The studies indicate that dosages of between 500mg and 2,800mg have shown to “support healthy body weight, appetite and fat breakdown”.
Again we have no idea how much HCA is present in this supplement. We would expect at least 500mg considering that the proprietary blend is 1736mg, unless there are massive quantities of CoEnzyme Q10, caffeine or fillers!
Where Can I Buy Metabolife Ultra?
MetaboLife Ultra is available over the counter without prescription from a number of outlets including Walmarts, Walgreens and Amazon.
Prices for one bottle of 90 caplets range from $17 (£13) to $29.95 (£21) depending on where you shop. The official website is the most expensive and you can purchase it much cheaper elsewhere!
Consumer Alert: One bottle of 90 capsules will only 15 days if taking the recommended 6 capsules per day!
What About A Guarantee?
There appears to be no money-back guarantee on offer.
This supplement relies heavily on caffeine as the main active ingredient, which may not agree with some consumers who are sensitive to it. The actual amounts of other ingredients are not revealed making it impossible to judge how effective this diet pill will be.
At first glance MetaboLife Ultra looks to be cheap, but considering you need to take 6 capsules per day, one bottle of 90 caplets will only last 2 weeks! MetaboLife Ultra is therefore NOT AS CHEAP as you think.
If you’re happy to spend the money then it may be worth giving them a try, knowing that there is no money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied. Otherwise we would recommend looking at supplements that have been proven to work.
We reject MetaboLife Ultra diet pills.