We take a look to see if this product, Slim-Tox, really can aid weight loss.
NDS Slim-tox Pros
- Good sleep and digestion aid
- Money back guarantee
NDS Slim-tox Cons
- Not cheap
- Not a strong weight loss aid
NDS Slim-tox Review
NDS Slim-tox Facts
- Manufactured by NDS Nutrition
- Contains laxatives
- $59.99 per bottle of 90 capsules
NDS Nutrition is a supplement line from the larger company, FitLife Brands Inc. NDS Nutrition have been operating since 2002, and offer what they describe as ‘innovative weight loss and general health products.’
How to Take NDS Slim-Tox
As a dietary supplement, take 1 capsule with 8 oz of water before your evening meal or bedtime.
Begin with 1 capsule (1 serving) and assess tolerance.
Do not exceed 3 capsules per day.
Consume a minimum of 64 – 80oz of water daily while taking this product.
To be used as part of a healthy lifestyle consisting of regular physical activity and a proper diet.
NDS Slim-tox Concerns:
- Very expensive product
- Not a strong weight loss aid
- Could cause some side effects
What Does NDS Slim-tox Claim To Do?
The manufacturers of Slim-Tox provide a detailed description of how the product works, including a recommendation to pair it with one of a selection of their thermogenic products.
Slim-Tox™ provides support for sleep (Chamomile, Melatonin) toning (CLA, Safflower Oil), appetite control (Garcinia Cambogia), digestive health (Psyllium Seed Husk, Lactobacillus acidophilus) and adrenal and thyroid function (Holy Basil).* Slim-Tox™ is an essential diet product because it reinforces your daytime dieting efforts by providing an added night time dieting support. With a thermogenic used during the day (Cardio Cuts®, EvoLean®, Intensify® XTREME, or LipoRUSH® DS) to help with energy and for dropping the pounds, Slim-Tox™ can be used at night time, and help your thermogenic work even better the next day. You can also use Slim-Tox™ if you are cycling off stimulants/thermogenics, but still want to support and maintain your dieting efforts. Its formulation helps put healthy bacteria into your body for better overall digestive processing and health, which helps cleanse the body and rid your system of bad fats and foods. Another benefit of Slim-Tox™ is that it supports adrenal and thyroid function, which helps fight exhaustion and fatigue the next day. Slim-Tox™ helps support you in achieving your health, fitness and weight loss goals.
So What Is NDS Slim-tox and What Are The Ingredients For NDS Slim-tox?
Slim-Tox has a stimulant free formula, making it ideal for night time use. Whilst consumers are advised to start with one capsule per night, taken before bed, they can increase their dose to three capsules, to be taken together. The ingredient quantities listed are per three capsules. The product consists of several proprietary formulas, and so there is not information available for the individual quantities of each ingredient.
- Iodine (as kelp) (300 mcg)
Sleep Tight Blend (514 mg)
- Chamomile Flower Powder: Can soothe an upset stomach and aid sleep.
- Melatonin: Melatonin helps the body to regulate sleep, being made at night and production stopping when the body perceives it is light. Supplementing melatonin can help to regulate sleep and treat insomnia.
- Passion flower powder: Used to treat both insomnia and anxiety. May improve perceived quality of sleep.
- Peppermint Leaf oil powder: Used to treat digestive problems, IBS, gas, and the common cold, as well as sinus infections.
- L-Theanine: This amino acid is found in green tea, and may play a small role in weight loss, as well as increasing feelings of relaxation. It may also reduce the negative side effects of caffeine, although there is seemingly no clinical evidence to support this claim.
- 5-HTP: 5HTP is used by the body to make serotonin, which primarily plays a role in regulating mood. Some studies, primarily in animals, have shown that 5HTP reduces the appetite, as well as boosting mood.
- Valerian Root Powder: Can be used to treat insomnia.
- CLA (conjugated Linoleic Acid): Naturally found in dairy products and beef, conjugated linoleic acid may help to reduce body fat, but may not cause changes to body weight. The average daily diet provides between 15 and 174 mg of conjugated linoleic acid, but studies have used much higher levels. Human studies of CLA have produced contradictory results, and it is described as not only a relatively poor fat burner, but also an unreliable one.
- Safflower Oil: Can be used as a laxative, although there are many herbal uses for this plant extract. Pregnant women should avoid the flower of this plant, as it is thought to bring on menstrual periods, make the uterus contract, and cause miscarriages.
- L-Carnitine L-Tartrate and Acetyl L-Carnitine: Supplementation of L-Carnitine has been found to improve fat oxidation.
Crave Control Agent (500 mg)
- Garcinia Cambogia (standardised to 50% HCA): Garcinia Cambogia is a small fruit, also known as the Malabar Tamarind. Test tube and animal research suggests that HCA, the active compound in Garcinia Cambogia, may be helpful in weight loss because of its effects on metabolism. However, studies in humans have found mixed results. Some studies have found it has no effect upon either appetite or metabolic rate, whilst others showed increased weight loss compared to the use of a placebo.
Probiotic-Digestive Blend (427 mg)
- Psyllium Seed Husk: Used to treat constipation.
- Apple cider vinegar: One Japanese study has suggested that consumption of apple cider vinegar daily may lead to a very small amount of weight loss, compared to consuming water. However, over the three month study, those who took the apple cider vinegar only lost 1-2 pounds more than their water drinking counterparts.
- Grapefruit Seed 4:1 concentrate: High in anti-oxidants, this ingredient could boost the immune system and improve health in general. Contains Naringen, which extends the amount of time that caffeine and stimulants stay in the body for. Research also suggests that Naringin enhances lipid (fat) metabolism in the body, which could have positive implications for dieters.
- Papaya enzyme: Carica papaya lipase is an enzyme found in the papaya fruit that may help digestion. Papain is another enzyme present in Papaya, which helps to break down proteins in foods. It is unknown which enzyme in particular is used in this diet pill.
- Senna leaf powder: Senna is an FDA-approved non-prescription laxative. It is used to treat constipation.
- Lacktobacillus acidophilus: A type of ‘good bacteria’ naturally present in the stomach, which produces vitamin K and Lactase (which in turn breaks down Lactose, the sugars in milk products).
- Bromelain: An enzyme found in pineapple, Bromelain causes the body to produce substances that fight pain and swelling.
- Lipase: A lipase is an enzyme that breaks down fats (lipids).
Adrenal Thyroid Support blend (261 mg)
- Holy Basil leaf 5:1 concentrate: Holy Basil is used to herbally treat a wide range of illnesses, as it is thought that chemicals in the leaves can reduce pain and inflammation.
- Gugulipid extract: Also known as Guggul, this extract is taken from the sap of a tree native to India. Currently, evidence that Guggul is useful for weight loss is preliminary, with mixed results from the few trials already conducted upon it, with some suggesting that Guggul has no effect upon weight loss, whilst other suggest its effect is moderate.
- Ashwagandha root extract: It is thought that its use lowers cortisol levels in the brain and body. Cortisol is a hormone produced during moments of stress, which has been associated with increasing weight gain, and making weight loss more difficult.
- Kelp extract: A good source of iodine, which is required by the thyroid for effective function.
- Licorice root extract: Used to treat digestive problems, but can cause water retention.
So What Does All This Mean?
With such a large variety of ingredients, this diet aid can also claim a number of different purposes, hence why it is described as versatile by the manufacturer. Slim-Tox contains several natural laxatives, which can aid weight loss through increased bowel movements, although this is not permanent weight loss. Customers should ensure they consume enough water throughout the day to avoid dehydration and constipation.
With several ingredients that treat digestive problems, including gas and bloating, this could also improve the consumer’s silhouette. There are also several herbs that are known to aid sleep and relaxation, which can be useful when taking stimulant supplements during the daytime. As sleep is also important for regulation of stress levels, and for maintaining a healthy metabolic rate, this could provide better conditions for weight loss.
In terms of its effects upon weight loss, this diet pill is not likely to have much of an effect. However, the combination of ingredients could benefit those who exercise regularly, as they aid sleep and are thought to reduce pain and swelling.
Does NDS Slim-tox Have Any Side Effects?
Laxatives can cause diarrhoea and loose stools. Consumers who are not drinking enough water could develop constipation. Stomach pains, gas and bloating are also possible.
There are ingredients in this product that could increase the chances of miscarriage, and so pregnant women, or those trying to conceive should not consume this product.
The company provides the following warning for customers who are using Slim-Tox:
Keep out of reach of children. For adult use only at bedtime. This product contains Senna. Read and follow directions carefully. Do not exceed recommended dose. Not intended for use by persons under the age of 18. Do not use if pregnant or lactating. If you are under the care of a physician, taking medication, or have a medical condition (such as high blood pressure), consult your physician before taking this product. Do not use if you have or develop diarrhoea, loose stools, or abdominal pain because Senna may worsen these conditions and be harmful to your health. Consult your physician if you have frequent diarrhoea. Do not use in conjunction with alcoholic beverages, when driving a vehicle, or while operating machinery. Do not use if tamper resistant seal is broken. Store in a cool dry place. Avoid excessive heat.
Any NDS Slim-tox Reviews From Customers?
GNC.com have a section for customers to leave reviews. For this product, there are only three, although they do all give the product a good ranking of four or five stars.
I take one pill after my last meal of the day. It really helps with weight loss (it works better if you exercise using an elliptical bike for example because I’ve tried it) but the side effect I experience is colon irritation although it surely helps with digestion and excretion. I recommend it for sure! I’ve lost weight than with any other GNC product I’ve used!
I took 2 capsules every evening for a month. I was looking for a product to help with bowel movements. This product helped with that, but it also gave me energy in the morning. What a wonderful plus!
This was my second time trying this type of product. the previous version the employee at gnc sold me was called Detox and I was forced to return it because of the awful smell! but the changed it out for this one which was the newer one and I must say it’s only been 5 days and I wake up feeling more refreshed and no issues with running to the bathroom every 5 mins!
Customers can add tags to their reviews to summarise pros and cons of the product. One customer tagged ‘tastes bad’, whilst another tagged ‘irriated colon’, but other than these two comments, the tags are all positive.
So Does NDS Slim-tox Work?
Slim-Tox does seem to aid sleep and digestion. However, we do not believe that it will aid weight loss in any significant way- there are simply not enough ingredients that will promote this. Garcinia Cambogia and Guggul may aid weight loss, but the clinical evidence is still contradictory, and their potency is unclear.
Where Can I Buy NDS Slim-tox?
Each bottle of 90 capsules of Slim-Tox costs $59.99 from NDS Nutrition. Shipping is flat fee of $7.95.
The product can also be purchased from GNC.com, at a price of $59.99 per bottle. As usual, GNC.com offer a slight discount to GNC members, with the member price for Slim-Tox being $56.99. The delivery charges for GNC are a flat fee of $3.99, a small saving compared to the NDS Nutrition offer.
What About A Guarantee
For deliveries that are incorrect or missing an item, customers need to contact the company within two days of delivery, and the company will send out the correct products.
Unopened and unused items may be returned within 30 days of the order date for a full refund or exchange of ‘the purchase price, minus the shipping, handling, and/or other charges.’ Customers need to include the original invoice in the package for accurate returns.
Overall, we would not recommend Slim-Tox as a weight loss aid, as there is simply not enough evidence to suggest that it does significantly impact upon weight loss. However, as a sleep and digestion aid, it appears to work fairly well. Because some of the ingredients relieve mild pain and reduce swelling, dieters who are exercising regularly may consider it because it will relieve some of the aches following exercise, as well as promoting regular sleep and digestive patterns.
Pregnant women should not take this product, because of several ingredients that could increase the risk of miscarriage.
Slim-Tox is also incredibly expensive, unless the consumer finds that a small dose is all that is required for the desired effects.