We take a look at this detox supplement to find out more.
New Nordic BioFirm Pros
- Made by a reputable company and available in the shops
- Some positive customer feedback
New Nordic BioFirm Cons
- May lead to dehydration
- Some of the unusual ingredients contained in the formula may cause side effects or allergic reactions
- No money-back guarantee
New Nordic BioFirm Review
New Nordic BioFirm Facts
- New Nordic is a major Swedish supplement company
- Available from a variety of retail outlets including Holland & Barrett and Amazon
- You are advised to take 6 tablets daily and follow a healthy lifestyle plan
New Nordic Biofirm is made in Sweden so has the perfect credentials for a detox supplement! Although the Scandinavian image may have taken a bashing with all those dark crime dramas on TV, many of us regard this region as being a place where people know about good health and cleanliness!
New Nordic Biofirm is a detox supplement that you take for cleansing and the idea is that it will eliminate waste. The supplement contains laxatives and diuretics (ingredients to make you urinate). In addition, it includes herbs, plants and a stimulant. All ingredients are derived from natural products.
Chicory root, a natural laxative is the principle ingredient and other plant extracts include dandelion, asparagus and nettle, which are all well known as diuretics.
It also contains Psyllium husk, which also has a laxative effect and is an ingredient found in OTC laxatives including Fybogel.
With this ingredient profile, it sounds like you are likely to be spending a lot more time in the bathroom!
New Nordic Biofirm also contains Citrus Aurantium – an orange peel derivative that can cause increased heart rate and blood pressure so will not suit everyone. It may have a slight appetite reducing effect because it may increase adrenaline making you feel too stressed to eat.
Taking a supplement to increase bowel movements and urination is not good for health yet is all part of the idea of detoxing which ironically is supposed to provide you with a variety of health benefits.
Many of us detox in the mistaken idea it is cleansing and good for health. Removing so-called toxins from your body is said to “energise” your liver, cleanse your colon and improve general vitality.
How to take New Nordic Biofirm
Take 2 tablets with a glass of water 3 times daily with a meal. You are recommended to follow the regime for at least 2 weeks, preferably for 4-6 weeks for the best results.
Ensure to drink at least 1.5 litres of water a day. (Or other liquid like tea). Food supplements are designed to supplement the diet and should not replace a normal varied diet and healthy life style. Do not exceed the daily dose.
This supplement comes with the advice to adopt a healthy eating plan and cut out alcohol, sugar, red meat and chocolate while following at least a 15-day detox and this will probably help you feel better and lose some weight.
However, detoxing by eating a healthy eating diet is not the same as taking a strong laxative/ diuretic like this supplement.
According to medical opinion, detox supplements are dangerous to health.
The idea that toxins build up in the body is not founded in scientific fact because our bodies can filter out and eliminate most ingested toxins via the liver and kidneys.
British organisation Sense About Science described body cleansing as “a waste of time and money” and all medical opinion is united in this opinion.
There can be health risks with taking laxatives and diuretics. It can lead to dehydration and if taken for too long your body can become dependent on laxatives.
New Nordic is a well-known Swedish supplements company. We have covered New Nordic supplements before, most notably Kilo Trim an appetite suppressant that we rejected.
All supplements are manufactured in Sweden by New Nordic Health Brands based in Malmo and this major company is listed on the Swedish Stock Exchange.
The company sell nutritional supplements and herbal remedies throughout Sweden and in over 20 countries.
New Nordic BioFirm Concerns:
- The medical advice is not to use detox supplements so why does this reputable company persist in marketing this supplement?
- The side effects. Many of the ingredients are known for causing allergic reactions
- Taking this supplement for 4-6 weeks could be unhealthy
What Does New Nordic BioFirm Claim To Do?
According to the product advertising;
Biofirm™ is recommended to people, who want help to maintain a normal healthy digestion and daily elimination of waste materials by support to the liver-gall system and the urine production
If you have problems with your digestive system you should see your doctor. If you do not have digestion issues, it is probably functioning perfectly well and does not need extra help to stay “normal”.
The tablet contains dandelion, which supports a healthy urine production and the elimination of water soluble waste materials.
We all need “healthy urine production” however; drinking more good old fashioned water will do this without the risk of side effects. Taking a diuretic often leads to the loss of vital salts and minerals.
Most importantly, New Nordic advises you to;
reduce or eliminate from the diet: red meat, alcohol, sweets, chocolates, sugar and fatty foods.
Increase the intake of wholegrain products, fresh fruit and vegetables. Take moderate exercise to stimulate the circulation, respiration and the movement of toxins out of your body.
If you follow this advice and do not even bother with taking the supplement, you will probably feel healthier and lose weight.
So What Is New Nordic BioFirm and What Are The Ingredients For New Nordic BioFirm?
New Nordic Biofirm is a detox supplement that the makers describe as cleansing.
Amount quantities here are equal to 6 tablets or one days required serving.
- Chicory root (Radix chichori) (2000 mg): This natural root extract is well known as a traditional herbal remedy for treating loss of appetite , liver complaints and digestive problems but its main use is as a laxative. However, there is a lack of information when it comes to long-term safety in supplement use. Present here in high amounts and may provoke allergic reactions if you are sensitive to plants such as ragweed.
- Citrus pulp (Citrus Aurantium) (780 mg): Although orange pulp sounds harmless, when taken in supplement form it can be quite dangerous. Citrus Aurantium contains synephrine, which has an effect upon adrenaline and can put your body into a stressed fight or flight response.
This response raises the heart rate and increases blood pressure so can increase the risk of stroke or heart attack. Source: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20040401/dietary-supplements?page=2
- Citrus pectin 600 mg): Some research shows that citrus pectin binds to cholesterol in the digestive tract so slows down glucose absorption by trapping these carbs. It is also being investigated for its role as a preventative against cancer. It increases the viscosity and the volume of faecal matter.
- Psyllium (Semen isphagula) (600 mg): This fibrous material is made up from the husks and empty seed pods of an indigestible native Indian and Pakistani plant and is used in many OTC laxatives including Fybogel
Psyllium husks can cause allergic reactions and the FDA has warned that this material can cause choking. It is very important to take with plenty of water to minimise the risk of swelling in the throat or oesophagus.
- Dandelion extract (Taraxacum Officinalis.)(600 mg): Common garden weed and natural diuretic. A folk name in the UK is “wet the bed” which is a good description of what it does.
- Globe Artichoke (Cynara scolymus L.) (444 mg): This dramatic looking vegetable is actually a type of thistle and highly prized for culinary use. It is also medicinal and there is evidence that it helps gall bladder function and may have a beneficial effect upon stomach bacteria as well as reducing cholesterol levels.
- Asparagus (Asparagus officinalis) (510 mg): This once expensive vegetable is becoming more available for culinary use and it does have many health benefits if eaten in natural form because it is low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals. However, a well-known side effect is a disagreeable odour of the urine that you will probably notice here.
- Nettle (Urtica dioica.) (740 mg): This well known garden plant (or weed) is rich in antioxidants and may help lower blood pressure and blood sugar levels. It is a powerful diuretic.
- Thyme extract. (Thymus vulgaris L.) (125 mg): This extract form of thyme is equal here to 875mg of dried herbs – the type you use in cooking but in high amounts. This is a traditional medicinal plant with many uses including as an antiseptic and cure for coughs. It was once used to treat parasitical worms so is probably included for this reason.
- Celery Seed (Apium graveolens) (330 mg): Herbal remedy that may be effective for menstrual cramps and believed to increase urine. Diuretic.
So What Does All This Mean?
The daily serving of all these ingredients is high and will undoubtedly have the required laxative and diuretic effect. There is a danger that this may cause dehydration so you need to ensure you take plenty of water. Strangely this can lead to constipation as the body struggles to hang to fluids.
In addition Citrus Aurantium may affect adrenaline levels – depending on the amount of synephrine contained in this supplement and this may make you feel stressed and on edge. This may reduce your appetite.
Take this supplement for 15 days and you may notice that you show up slightly lighter on the scales for a while, mainly due to a loss of water weight and possibly the loss of your appetite. However we strongly advise you not to take this laxative for 4-6 weeks as recommended by the advertising, due to health risks. It does not seem safe.
Does New Nordic BioFirm Have Any Side Effects?
Customers have not mentioned side effects apart from one man who said the New Nordic Biofirm made him constipated.
Most people seem to take this supplement with no major problems however looking at the ingredients list, and taking the effects of dehydration into consideration, potential side effects may include:
- Light headedness
- Allergic reaction (some people are allergic to chicory, artichoke celery, Psyllium or dandelion )
- Stomach pain
- Slight choking risk – take with plenty of water
- Increased heart rate
- Increase blood pressure
- Reduced blood pressure.
- Unpleasant smelling urine
Avoid if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or trying to conceive. Do not take if you suffer from plant allergies – there are ingredients in this formula, which provoke reactions. In the unlikely event that you suffer “flushing, severe itching, shortness of breath, wheezing, swelling of the face or body, chest and throat tightness,” seek medical advice immediately.
Do not take if you suffer from gall stones or have a kidney related medical condition. Avoid if you have a heart condition. Speak to your doctor first if you have any sort of medical condition or are taking medication including anti depressants. Some of the ingredients in this formula may cause drug interactions and affect the way that your medicine works. Make sure you drink plenty of water to prevent against dehydration.
Any New Nordic BioFirm Reviews From Customers?
There are only a few New Nordic Biofirm customer reviews available.
Most people seem happy with this supplement and use it for their own reasons. The majority of feedback is positive
One customer went into details:
I have been using Biofirm for many years. I use it when I am feeling a bit sluggish and when I feel that my system needs ‘re-setting’. I can’t explain what this means but I hope you understand.
I take six tablets with a meal three times a day and it works quite quickly. Unfortunately, I don’t stop eating all the foods they recommend however I find it is still effective. It’s great when you want to kick start a diet or when you plateau in the middle of a diet. I also find that I have a lot more energy too.
Another satisfied customer wrote;
I take this every year once, and use 3 packs for detox. It works for me. I love it! fast delivery.
(Not sure here if she is talking about the speed it works or the postal service)
Not everyone is as pleased. One reviewer was disappointed;
Not as good has I expected. Lost a couple of pounds and now at a stand still. Don’t think I will bother again.
One man complained of constipation;
I bought these as a “detox” plan because I liked the ingredients. However, these pills actually constipated me and I had to discontinue taking them after 8 days. I would not recommend.
So Does New Nordic BioFirm Work?
Yes, it seems to have the desired effect for most people. It appears to work as a laxative and diuretic so it will give you the impression that you are undergoing internal cleansing.
We do not agree with detox supplements because of the health concerns and make no mistake these can be very real. When you artificially lower the water content of your body you are causing your body to become dehydrated and you lose vital nutrients, minerals and vitamins which is dangerous for health.
You also are messing with the natural balance of your body and the complex interaction of metabolic chemical reactions.
Your digestive system and your liver can work perfectly well without any help from you and does not need to be “supported” or “cleansed” by taking supplements. You may do more harm than good.
See our investigation into the dangers of detox pills.
Where Can I Buy New Nordic BioFirm?
You can buy New Nordic Biofirm over the counter in many retail outlets across the UK and Europe. It is sometimes stocked by Holland & Barrett and it is on sale via Amazon.
A packet of 90 tablets (15 days supply) costs £18.67 and includes free delivery to UK addresses.
New Nordic Biofirm is also available to US customers via Amazon.com from various UK based sellers.
Typically, a packet of 90 tablets costs around $36.00 plus shipping (approximately $6.00 depending upon the individual seller.
At the time of writing the New Nordic official website is out of stock but should cost £22.35 for 90 tablets (15 days supply) Shipping costs are not provided.
What About A Guarantee
New Nordic do not offer a money back guarantee.
New Nordic Biofirm is a detox supplement so is essentially a laxative and diuretic combination. Expect to be spending increased time in the bathroom and this can be dangerous because it can lead to dehydration and other medical problems.
Feeling dehydrated can reduce your appetite and in addition, the Citrus Aurantium content may add to this by making you feel too stressed to eat. But is this a healthy way to lose small amounts of weight? We think not.
Any weight that you lose will be probably be temporary and unless you make some changes to diet and exercise, such as keep to the healthy eating plan, you will probably put it all back on afterwards.
That said some people like detoxing and this concept never fully goes away. All the time diet supplement companies market this idea, the more people buy, and so it goes on in a circle of supply and demand. But don’t be fooled into thinking this is healthy or good for you, especially when all the medical opinion is united in condemnation against detox supplements.
New Nordic Biofirm may be backed by a major company and available in the shops but this doesn’t mean that it works or will lead to good health and weight loss.
It is an easy decision; we reject New Nordic Biofirm.