We take a closer look at Phen Caps to see if this is the real deal in over the counter diet pills.
Phen Caps Pros
- Clear ingredients profile
- Money back guarantee
Phen Caps Cons
- Trades on a drug name
- Contains PEA which may cause side effects
- Misleading advertising gives the impression that Phen Caps is an official drug replacement
Phen Caps Review
Phen Caps Facts
- Phen Caps is marketed by Careworld LLC a Miami based company
- 60 capsules contained in each bottle
- Does not contain banned substances
Phen Caps is yet another product trading on a weight loss drug brand name but with a slick website and some powerful advertising, this supplement looks pretty good at first glance. This US made supplement comes with an endorsement from a real life doctor and an adequate ingredient profile. Phen caps contain 9 ingredients.
Phen Caps is manufactured in USA and marketed by Careworld LLC. They are based in Miami Florida and the company address is;
1200 Brickell Avenue, suite 1950
33131 Miami FL, USA
The company do not appear to be huge and Phen Caps seem to be the only product they sell. There are no bad marks or complaints about Careworld LLC and Phen Caps also have a Facebook and a Twitter page.
It seems that all diet pill manufacturers, however big or small never tire of going on about weight loss drugs! Phentra 50, Phenobestin, Phen Blue and Phentaslim (the only one we approve so far) are just some of the high number of supplements who have referenced a well known drug brand name. Phen Caps is simply following this trend and there is nothing unique or official about this particular inspired diet pill either.
Phen Caps is not legal drug alternative and there is nothing contained in this supplement that really suggests it will work in the same way for weight loss. Instead, it contains a range of mostly natural ingredients including caffeine, theobromine found in chocolate, and synephrine.
The Phen Caps advertising looks suitably medical and official though. It comes backed with an endorsement by a real life Doctor- Dr Karen Vieira who says, “It’s not a miracle just science”.
Dr Vieira works in the diet industry and is also associated with other products including Bystrictin – a supplement that gives you the benefits of gastric band surgery without surgery. She is a real doctor (we have checked).
According to the advertising Phen Caps targets all aspects of weight loss. It suppresses appetite, works as a fat burner, improves insulin function and increases the metabolism.
To take Phen Caps you are advised to take two caps per day and to exercise and watch your diet in order to get the best results. If you find you are losing weight too fast you are advised to reduce the dose to one a day.
Phen Caps Concerns:
- PEA is one of the principle ingredients and may have side effects
- No customer feedback available
- Advertising is misleading and may not work as well as promised
What Does Phen Caps Claim To Do?
Phen Caps is advertised as a diet pill that works! It offers three key features.
- Suppresses appetite and controls cravings
- Improves digestion and protects your heart
- No prescription required!
According to the advertising;
… is a renowned treatment against obesity but it’s only available with a prescription. Phen Caps is its official non-prescription alternative.
This gives the impression that Phen Caps is in some way endorsed by a known drug brand name but the fact that this statement comes from nothing more than clever marketing team.
There is no connection between the manufacturers of Phen Caps and the manufacturers of any drug brand name.
According to the information Phen Caps;
- Curbs appetite
- Stimulates metabolism
- Protects your heart
So What Is Phen Caps and What Are The Ingredients For Phen Caps?
Phen Caps are diet pills that are supposed to increase your metabolism, suppress your appetite burn fat and improve insulin function. This product contains nine ingredients.
The list refers to the contents of each capsule (720mg of active ingredients).
- PEA (Phenylethylamine) (150mg): This organic compound is linked to amphetamines and has a similar effect upon brain chemicals for a short time. It can cause a short-lived “rush” of around 10 -15 minutes before the effect passes.
PEA is a naturally occurring compound and is an uncontrolled substance, which means it is often included in bodybuilder’s products and weight loss supplements because of its mild euphoric effects. However, side effects are common and include heartburn, nausea, constipation and mild headaches. May cause a short-term mood lift but no benefit for weight loss and potentially unsafe. Source: http://www.zhion.com/Supplements/Phenylethylamine.html
- Caffeine (25mg): Hardly seems worth bothering about in such a small quantity. The average cup of instant coffee contains around 100mg of caffeine. A piece of milk chocolate contains around 25mg. Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15982904
- Theobromine (25mg): Bitter Alkaloid of the cocoa plant and present in chocolate, tea leaves and the cola nut. Theobromine is used in medicine to widen the blood vessels and as a heart stimulant. It is poisonous at high levels and it has been calculated that a fatal dose for an adult human would involve eating more than 5kg of milk chocolate! (death by chocolate!)
According to our research, the amount of theobromine contained in this supplement is around the same as a couple of chocolate chip cookies. Source: http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000132000000000000000-4.html
- Caralluma Fimbriata (250mg): Principle ingredient and extremely promising although unproven ingredient for weight loss. It appears to reduce appetite, reduce leptin resistance and prevent the formation of new fat cells, all of which can play a role in fighting obesity.
We covered this native Indian succulent plant in a previous investigation and were impressed. According to scientific opinion, it requires further testing.
- Synephrine (35mg): This natural substance derived from bitter orange peel is a stimulant. It can raise the heart rate, there are serious health issues around this ingredient especially when taken in high levels, and some diet pills can contain around 900mg. However, it is believed to help burn calories and improve insulin sensitivity. Synephrine can be dangerous but in such low amounts should be safe for most people. See our ingredient investigation into Synephrine
- Methlysnephrine (15mg): Also derived from bitter orange pill, Methlysnephrine acts in a similar way to synephrine.
- L-Carnitine (100mg): May have a positive effect upon the metabolism and muscle development. However largely untested for its role in weight loss and has mainly undergone animal testing. The long lasting effects and optimum dose need to be further tested according to research. Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22549035
- Red Raspberry Ketones (50mg): Much touted weight loss ingredient but without any proof that it works on humans for weight loss. Clinical testing has been extremely limited and although animal testing suggested that raspberry Ketones altered metabolism and prevented the formation of lipids and fats it has been calculated that you would have to eat the equivalent of 2% of your body weight to get the same effect. Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22551412
- Crateagus spp. Extract. (70mg): Hawthorne berry extract is well known as a folk medicine and clinical evidence now suggests that it may be useful in the treatment of cardiovascular disease. Source: Online Resource
So What Does All This Mean?
Phen Caps contains some potentially dangerous ingredients – synephrine and Methlysnephrine but the ingredient amounts are so small that you may not even notice the effects. We don’t like PEA because of the real risks of side effects and at 150mg; this is one of the principle ingredients of the supplement.
Many of the stimulant ingredients are in such low quantities it has hardly seemed worth the bother of including them. We can’t see that this diet pill will have much of an effect despite the inclusion of some good ingredients such as Caralluma Fimbriata and Hawthorne berry extract.
Does Phen Caps Have Any Side Effects?
You may notice some side effects. PEA is supposed to deliver a short-lived buzz although not everyone who has tried it has noticed. It may cause mild headaches, heartburn or nausea.
Caution: Avoid if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. You should take medical advice before trying this supplement if you suffer from any heart or blood pressure condition due to the potentially stimulant effects of the ingredients. Seek medical advice before taking Phen Caps if you suffer from diabetes.
Any Phen Caps Reviews From Customers?
We trawled the internet but we could not find any independent reviews. We have never read about anyone who has tried it.
So Does Phen Caps Work?
They may work a bit but by no means as dramatically and effectively as the website advertising claims. We cannot really understand the connection and although synephrine is sometimes included in diet pills as a replacement for banned ingredients, the amounts of the ingredients contained in this supplement are so minimal they are unlikely to have much of an effect.
A point in Phen Caps favour is that it looks pretty safe but it won’t make you lose weight in the same way as any prescription drug.
Where Can I Buy Phen Caps?
You can buy Phen Caps direct from the product website. One bottle (a month’s supply) contains 60 capsules and costs $49.95 plus $5.00 shipping to US addresses. You can make savings on larger orders by buying 3 month’s supply (180 capsules) for $129.95 and benefit from free shipping to US addresses.
International customers will have to pay extra for postage, with International shipping costs working out extremely expensive. Shipping to the UK for example is quoted at $29.04 for priority shipping rising to $58.15 for express.
What About A Guarantee
There is a money back guarantee on offer but the advertising does not publicise it very well. You can return your order within 30 days of purchase for a full refund. The guarantee is valid for one opened bottle and all unopened bottles in resalable condition.
You need to contact the customer services dept to obtain a RMA (returned merchandise authorisation). All refunds will be made to the same credit card used for payment and you will have to pay return shipping.
We are left a bit underwhelmed with Phen Caps. It is by no means the worst supplement on the market and it does look reasonably safe but we cannot see how it will help you lose much, if any weight.
Some of the ingredients look fairly pointless and if you are going to put an ingredient into a diet pill, you may as well use enough of it to create an effect. What is the point of 25mg of coffee for example?
This supplement just does not look worth the money and in these cash strapped times this is a major concern. We have no other choice but to reject this supplement.