We take a look at Phenelean to find out more.
- No reason we can think of to take this supplement
- Contains dangerous ingredient Amp Citrate
- Most of the ingredients are in ineffectual quantities
- No customer feedback
- No money-back guarantee
- On sale in the UK from Pro Muscle the official Orb Pharma distributor in the UK
- International shipping costs are £4.99
- Each bottle contains 60 capsules – one month’s supply
There are numerous diet pills on the market named with reference to Phentermine. The mystique of this well known prescription drug never goes away and even though it is banned for being too dangerous, many people are still attracted to it in the belief that it works.
First up Phenelean is not Phentermine. Phenelean’s principle ingredient is caffeine at a modest 90mg per capsule serving which looks safe.
However, it does also contain some dodgy looking ingredients. One of these is Phenethelymine an organic compound in the amphetamine class of drugs, which is supposed to increase dopamine via its effect upon norepinephrine levels in the brain.
Phenelean also contains Amp Citrate – a stimulant that is becoming increasingly popular in diet pills and is of serious concern. This ingredient is very similar to DMAA a stimulant that the FDA banned in 2012 because of its links to heart attacks, seizures.
Amp Citrate appears to be a legal alternative to this banned drug but lacks safety testing and there are serious health concerns about this ingredient.
Amp Citrate goes under a variety of names such as DMBA and 4-amino-2-methylpentane citrate and is showing up in supplements much to the concern of the health authorities. According to the Phenelean advertising, Amp Citrate is the new replacement to DMAA.
What they do not explain is that DMAA is banned for causing serious health risks and that Amp Citrate is practically the same chemical compound. Amp Citrate is not a safe alternative to DMMA despite being legal at the moment.
How to Take Phenalean
Take one capsule in the morning with water and one capsule after lunch with water.
Do not exceed two capsules daily.
Phenelean is on sale from British company Pro Muscle. This company sell mainly body builder supplements and carry a wide range of brands on their website, including Animal Supplements and Dorian Yates diet pills, brands which we have covered (and rejected) in previous reviews.
uilder supplements are often very strong and in some cases contain strong stimulants and dangerous ingredients. To some bodybuilders a strong dangerous stimulant is all part of the body building lifestyle. Quite often, the health risks are hyped to create the right impression.
Pro Muscle do not manufacture supplements and do not provide any information about the origins of their supplements. Phenelean is made by Orb Pharma – a new name to us in supplements. According to the product information, Pro Muscle is the official UK supplier of Orb Pharma products.
There are several Orb Pharma supplements in their range, including Orb Pharma Penis Enhancement, Orb Pharma Prohormones Ripfast Amped and a Orb Pharma stack comprising of three products, Triple X, RipFast and PCT.
We were interested to know about the background to Orb Pharma, also referred to as Orb Pharmaceuticals. Usually this information is easy to find because most brands advertise online but in the case of Orb Pharma this is not so.
The only company we could find called Orb Pharma is based in New Delhi India. According to the Orb Pharma information this company undertake contract manufacturing for international markets although product ranges are unnamed.
- Where is this supplement made? Why does Orb Pharma an Indian supplements manufacturer not mention Phenelean in their company information?
- Does this supplement conform to UK standards if it is made abroad?
- Amp Citrate is known to be dangerous yet the advertising states that Phenelean is safe and will not cause side effects
What Does Phenelean Claim To Do?
According to the advertising, Phenelean is a ‘Phentremine 375 replacement’ and is,
the most powerful non prescription 100% legal weight loss pill that burns fat and also helps to “suppresses” your appetite.
The information continues:
Keeping control of your appetite and boosting your metabolic rate is the foundation of any good fat burning product and Phenelean makes this happen.
Phenelean Includes Amp Citrate – the New replacement for 1.3 DMMA!!!
Finally, the advertising states that:
Phenelean contains only the best ingredients and has no unwanted side effects.
We do not agree with this last statement. The ingredients contained in Phenelean may cause numerous unwanted side effects. There are serious concerns about the safety of Amp Citrate in particular.
So What Is Phenelean and What Are The Ingredients?
Phenelean is a fat burner diet pill. Each capsule is equal to one serving.
- Caffeine (90mg): Most fat burners contain caffeine and it is ideal for giving you a quick energy boost. It can increase the speed of the metabolism and help fat burning but the effects are often short lived as you become accustomed to use. The average cup of instant coffee contains around 100mg so here in low and safe quantities.
- Phenethelymine HCI (37.5mg): Sometimes better known as PEA, Phenethelymine is an amino acid, present in chocolate and other foodstuffs. However, Phenylethylamine derivatives are in the same chemical class as psychoactive drugs and stimulants including amphetamines. PEA can cause a short-lived buzz but is quickly metabolized. It is this high that makes it attractive as a supplement but the effect often lasts only a few minutes before it wears off.
- Cayenne (80mg): Research has indicated that high levels of capsaicoinds, the compound that causes the fiery sensation of cayenne, increases the metabolism and promotes fat burning. However, you need a lot of cayenne for it to work and it requires further evidence. For example, one small clinical test carried out in Thailand found eating 5000mg of chilli peppers increased the metabolism for 30 minutes after eating Unlikely to do much here.
- Green Tea (32.5 mg): Clinical research has found that green tea has proven health benefits and the antioxidants (ECGC and polyphenols) found to have some mild anti obesity and fat burning properties because of the effects upon the metabolism. Green tea is most effective when drunk as a tea and amount quantities here are too small to be effective. There is evidence that cholesterol levels may be reduced at around 375mg green tea daily.
- Bioperine (10mg): Also known as black pepper extract, Bioperine may help the absorption of other ingredients.
- Grapeseed Extract (50mg): Grapeseed extract contains Revesterol a rich source of antioxidants. Grape seed may have the potential for many health benefits but in clinical trials, it can cause side effects including headaches and itchiness. Long-term use as a supplement needs to be evaluated for safety and further testing.
- Amp Citrate (50mg): Increasingly Popular diet pill ingredient found in supplements claiming to boost energy, mood brainpower and athletic performance. Amp Citrate is a strong chemical that causes blood vessels to contract and speeds up heart rate. Amp Citrate is extremely similar to DMMA which was banned in 2012 after being linked to causing 86 adverse events including heart attack, stroke, seizure and death.
So What Does All This Mean?
Phenelean contains 350mg of active ingredients in the formula. Many of the ingredients are unlikely to have much of an effect. The green tea and the caffeine are in too insignificant quantities and the case for cayenne has not yet been proven. However, the major concern with this supplement is the amp citrate.
This ingredient is dangerous and it may cause dangerous side effects. This stimulant will affect your heart rate and blood pressure and although the quantity contained in each capsule seems small, even in small amounts this ingredient is dangerous.
As an additional concern if you compete in sport, Amp citrate will get you banned for doping.
There is evidence that black pepper increases absorption of ingredients so it is highly possible that effects from the low dosage may be increased.
Does Phenelean Have Any Side Effects?
According to the product information, Phenelean does not cause adverse side effects. However, the ingredients list tells a different story. Potential side effects may include:
- Increased heart rate
- Heart palpitations
- Pounding heart rate
- Increased blood pressure levels
- Increased risk of heart attack, stroke or seizure
- Itchy skin
- Short lived high
- Mood alterations
Avoid if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
Do not take if you suffer from high blood pressure or have a medical condition related to the heart.
Do not take if you have or have had mental problems especially relating to addiction, schizophrenia or depression.
Seek medical advice before you take this supplement.
Phenelean will cause drug interactions with prescription medication so ask your doctor beforehand.
Pro Muscle do not provide any health advice or warnings.
Any Phenelean Reviews From Customers?
We were unable to find one independent customer review for Phenelean. It seems that this supplement is just not very popular. Nobody appears to be talking about Phenelean.
So Does Phenelean Work?
No. Phenelean will not likely work. This supplement contains ingredients in very low quantities that are too low to be effective, combined with one very dangerous ingredient that will probably soon be banned in the USA by the FDA.
On Sept. 12, the Council for Responsible Nutrition, a dietary supplement industry group, sent a letter to the FDA urging regulatory action on AMP Citrate, pointing out that it is being marketed as the “next DMAA,” that it has a similar chemical structure to the banned ingredient.
The FDA have responded stating it,
is aware of concerns regarding DMBA/AMP Citrate and will consider taking regulatory action, as appropriate, to protect consumers.
We cannot see that this supplement will help promote weight loss or support you through a diet and exercise programme. We think that this supplement is unsafe.
Where Can I Buy Phenelean?
You can buy Phenelean from the Pro Muscle website. One bottle of 60 capsules (1 month’s supply) costs £25.00.
Shipping is free to UK mainland addresses. Other UK addresses cost an extra £4.00
Pro Muscle provide international shipping. You can find shipping costs once, you get to the shopping cart. Shipping to the United States, Europe and Australia for example costs £4.99.
You can also find Phenelean on sale from Amazon.co.uk One tub of 60 capsules costs £20.99 and includes free shipping.
Phenelean is not on sale in the USA
What About A Guarantee
No money back guarantee available.
We are not impressed by Phenelean. This supplement contains a mix of ingredients in ineffective quantities so is unlikely to have much effect on weight loss. The green tea and caffeine levels are low and there is a lack of evidence to support the claims of grapeseed extract and cayenne in such minimal quantities.
Combined with this is the inclusion of Amp Citrate – again in fairly low quantities per capsule but an ingredient that is well known for causing a range of potentially dangerous side effects. Combined with the PEA in the formula it may have unpredictable psychoactive effects.
The FDA have Amp Citrate in its sights and seem likely to ban this ingredient in the same way as they banned DMMA. Amp Citrate is dangerous, make no mistake and with a daily serving of 100mg it will probably have an effect upon heart rate and blood pressure.
There is a lack of information about the manufacturers Orb Pharma. It seems that this company manufacture contract supplements from their New Delhi plant in India but if this company actually made Phenelean, this fact is not mentioned on the Orb Pharma website.
Pro Muscle provide zero information about the origins of this supplement. Maybe this is not surprising. Pro Muscle do not appear to be a premium supplements company. The website contains numerous mistakes and spelling errors so it is hard to really trust their information.
We all make mistakes but claiming Phenelean as a successor to Phentermine and then spelling Phentermine wrong is just plain sloppy and careless.
Finally, there is zero customer feedback for Phenelean. It all adds up to one thing. We just do not trust this supplement so there is no way we could add it to our approved list.