Whilst certainly not the most ingredients we have seen crammed into a diet pill it’s not far off! We see if Phenocal can “turbo charge” your metabolism, give you energy and control food cravings.
- Some promising ingredients
- Company contact details available
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- Ingredient profile not fully disclosed
- Little to no reliable clinical supporting data
- Few consumer testimonials
- Phenocal manufactured by Pharmaxa Labs
- On the market since 2009
- Full money-back guarantee
Phenocal is manufactured by Pharmaxa Labs who are based in Florida, USA. They produce a number of dietary supplements from sleep aids, bone and joint support to menopause products. The Phamaxa Labs website is easy on the eye and provides links to each of the products websites for more information. A corporate address is clearly visible; an online chat help desk and contact number is available too.
Its seems that “Health web shopping” provide the fulfilment and customer support, including returns, for all Phenocal orders as the same contact number is used and this company provides the billing solution.
Digging deeper into Pharmaxa Labs we could find no reports online of scams or rip offs by consumers. So far so good!
Taking a look at the Phenocal bottle itself it is fairly pharmaceutical in appearance and highlights the core ingredients. Each bottle contains 150 capsules enough for 25 days supply as you take 3 capsules with water twice a day, once 15 minutes before breakfast and then 4 hours after your mid-day meal.
Every Phenocal order comes with a 3-part weight loss programme called “TOTAL BODY BALANCE SYSTEM” that’s designed to maximise weight loss whilst taking the supplement.
- Lack of full ingredient profile as key ingredients in proprietary blend
- Lacks references to solid clinical studies to back up claims
- Only find consumer testimonials on official website
What Does Phenocal Claim To Do?
Phenocal makes some strong claims on their website not only suggesting its “the #1 Rated Weight Loss Product” but that its…
Powerful All Natural MAXIMUM STRENGTH FAT BURNER
Using a scientifically engineered maximum strength formula Phenocal claims it can “turbo charge your weight loss” and “revs up your energy levels”!
Phenocal summaries the three key benefits:
- Turbo charges your metabolism
- Suppresses and controls appetite and unhealthy food cravings
- Boosts your energy levels
So What Is Phenocal and What Are The Ingredients For Phenocal?
There are so many ingredients in Phenocal the “supplement facts” label reads like a who’s who of weight loss ingredients. It seems that the manufacturers have attempted to put every known weight loss ingredient possible in this diet pill!
Phenocal reveals ingredient amounts for the vitamins and a select few of the other ingredients but fails to reveal the full ingredient profile. Instead it specifies a 2,230mg proprietary blend, which contains the following ingredients:
- Green Tea Leaf: Contains lots of antioxidants benefit for health and suggested to boost energy levels.
- Glucomannan: Water soluble fibre that swells in size when exposed to water to 50 times its size, acting to fill the stomach to help you feel fuller. Suggested to have “strong evidence” promoting weight loss but doubt exists in terms of the amount required on a daily basis to be effective. Very unlikely that Phenocal contains enough of this ingredient to work.
- L-Tyrosine: Suggested to help in suppressing appetite and works to promote healthy thyroid function and improved, more efficient metabolism.
- Cocoa Extract: Mostly seen in cocoa products and chocolate and thought to have numerous health benefits due to its antioxidant content. These include lowering cholesterol and blood pressure, protect against heart disease and may help reverse blood vessel damage in people with diabetes. Source: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/completeazindex/a/cocoa_benefits.htm
- Hoodia Gordonii: Genuine hoodia gordonii from the stem of cactus plant has been shown to have appetite suppressant qualities. Once THE weight loss ingredient of choice for dieters looking to suppress food cravings. Doubt has been raised as to the purity and authenticity of most of this ingredient in the market due to the number of fake hoodia products. Hoodia Gordonii is not available for consumers in the EU/UK now due to recent Herbal Regulations restricting the sale of this substance.
- Garcinia Cambogia: A small fruit similar to a tiny pumpkin found in Asia and parts of Asia. The extract called Hydroxycitric Acid (HCA) has been suggested to help suppress appetite and promote fat burning. Clinical studies have shown mixed results, some showing significant weight loss whilst others minimal effects. High doses may be required in order to trigger any positive weight loss effect and unlikely that Phenocal contains sufficient quantities.
- Yerba Mate: A plant native to subtropical South America consumed as a beverage by many of the native people as it contains caffeine. Found to have some health benefits but it’s the suggested benefits for improving fat metabolism why it’s found in a number of dieting aids. Although anecdotal evidence exists further studies are required to determine how effective and in what dosages. (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15836459)
- Coleus Forskohlii (aka Forskolin): Also known as Plectranthus barbatus, it’s a tropical perennial plant related to the typical coleus species. Containing the active ingredient forskolin, it’s been used as an ancient Ayurvedic medicine for centuries with a number of important cellular functions, relaxing muscles and interestingly increasing thyroid function. Initial clinical studies have supported some claims more research is required in the real world to prove the benefits for fat reduction. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forskolin)
- Evodiamine: Suggested to increase body temperature by way of thermogenosis to boost metabolism causing increased energy expenditure and greater fat burning.
- L-Tryptophan: Essential amino acid that is converted into 5-HTP (5-hyrdoxytryptophan) and then into Serotonin, which is a hormone critical in mood and elevating well being.
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA): Natural free fatty acid that is high in antioxidants and suggested to promote fat loss and increase energy levels.
- 5 HTP (5-hydroxyptophan): A mood enhancer that may help weight loss by boosting feelings of wellness.
We’re not finished yet! The remaining ingredients are listed with their amounts:
- Fucoxanthin (100mg): Fucoxanthin is an antioxidant found in wakame, a type of brown kelp used in Asian cuisine. To consume enough Fucoxanthin you would need to eat an unrealistic amount of brown kep to get sufficient quantities. Source: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20060911/seaweed-burn-fat
- Chromium (Picolinate) (100mcg): Very popular ingredient in many weight loss products but has largely been discredited by National Institute of Health (NIH). After collating data from 24 studies they found no significant benefits in body composition from taking 200mcg to 1,000mcg per day. Phenocal contains even less than this amount!
- Bioperine (2.5mg): Helps to increase the rate of absorption of nutrients taken at the same time by up to 3 times. Also known as Black Pepper extract.
- Biotin , Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B1, Vitamin D3 and Vitamin B3: Contains a number of essential vitamins in varying amounts to help support a healthy body.
So What Does All This Mean?
Phenocal contains so many ingredients it’s unlikely that sufficient quantities exist to have much of an effect. The use of a proprietary blend means it’s impossible to know just how much exists!
Does Phenocal Have Any Side Effects?
The manufacturer states that no adverse side effects should be experienced whilst taking Phenocal.
As the full ingredient amounts are not listed in the proprietary blend it is impossible to know for sure. That said, there don’t look to be any strong stimulants in this supplement.
Any Phenocal Reviews From Customers?
There are a number of positive Phenocal testimonials from US consumers on the official website. No indication is made when these testimonials were made and no before and after photographs are available to support them.
So Does Phenocal Work?
In the “science” bit of how Phenocal works attention is focused on only two of the ingredients, “Fucoxanthin” and “Glucomannan”. This somewhat suggests these are the key ingredients that underpin the success of this product.
Let’s start with Fucoxathin, as outlined about in our ingredients section this is suggested to boost metabolism, helpful if suffering from a slow metabolism. Phenocal outlines what looks like an impressive research, showing an average weight loss of 14.5 pounds in the “Fucoxanthin” group versus just 3 pounds in placebo group in just 16 weeks!
Phenocal fails to reference the clinical study these results were obtained from. When we researched clinical trials into Fucoxanthin we found a study similar (if not the when used by Phenocal) showing similar results:
The controlled study in 2009 performed on human subjects has shown significant weight loss after 16 weeks when supplementing seaweed extract containing fucoxanthin in combination with pomegranate seed oil.
Moving on to Glucomannan, it’s included in Phenocal to help reduce food portion sizes by helping you to feel fuller. It does this by expanding in the stomach as it absorbs water and so taken before eating can reduce the amount eaten.
We found two studies that looked at the effectiveness of Glucomannan on body weight. Both found significant average weight loss of 4.52 kg in the 16-week study and 2.5kg in the 8-week study (see below) with no adverse reactions:
This is looking good until you take a look at the dosages used in both these studies between 2 to 3 gms of Glucomannan per day! It is VERY UNLIKELY that Phenocal contains anywhere near this amount per day and so unlikely to see any results.
Furthermore when looking at a number of product claims that Glucomannan aids weight loss, the FTC has stated that there is no clinical data supporting many manufacturer claims.
In summary, some of the ingredients included in Phenocal look promising but are probably lacking in sufficient quantities to work. The most active weight loss ingredients are within the proprietary blend and as they amounts are not revealed it’s impossible to tell how effective it will be.
What About A Guarantee?
Phenocal does have a 60-day money-back guarantee where you can receive the full purchase price minus shipping and handling charges. To qualify for the guarantee only one bottle can be used or opened and ALL bottles are required to be returned.
The guarantee only applies to orders placed from the official website.
Where Can I Buy Phenocal?
Phenocal is only available via the official website and costs from $44.85 for one bottle of 150 capsules.
At first glance we were very impressed with Phenocal as a diet supplement. With a clean professionally put together website, clearly visible contact number and money-back guarantee, Phenocal was looking like it met all the criteria for being approved.
It’s when we delved into the ingredient profile we stumbled upon a few concerns. Namely the use of a proprietary blend means we are not sure of the ingredient quantities used, and because these are the key active ingredients it’s impossible to know if sufficient amounts are included to exert any positive weight loss effects.
Phenocal will not be legally available worldwide too! One of its key ingredients, Hoodia Gordonii, is now banned in the EU/UK due to ruling in 2011 that prohibited the sale of this ingredient in this part of the world.
Unfortunately despite a very promising start we have to reject Phenocal diet pills.