Naming products around classified brand names is nothing new in the diet pills world. However, despite the similarities of the two names there is no real connection between the two diet pills. There is no real reason why this diet pill should be described as a substitute.
- Website displays health warnings
- Comes with a 30 day guarantee
- Company looks straight and does not operate an auto billing programme
- Lacks independent customer testimonials
- Inadequate ingredients profile
- May cause dangerous side effects
- Manufactured by Lazarus Labs
- Comes in either tablets or capsules
- Each bottle contains 60 – one month’s supply
Phentramin D is a diet pill manufactured in the USA by Lazarus Labs. The company have been in existence since 2003 and are based in Cartersville Georgia.
Lazarus Labs describe themselves as a global leader in non-prescription pharmaceuticals and their aim is to mimic the positive effects of well-known prescription drugs without the negative side effects.
As well as Phentramin D for weight loss the company also market anti anxiety drug Zanaprin an OTC alternative to a prescription strength anti depressant, Gylcemil a product designed to help control blood sugar levels and Tramadan marketed as pain relief for arthritis and joint pain.
Phentramin D for weight control is aimed at people who have heard of controlled diet drugs and are now unable to get it. Of course, at one time these were handed out like candy bars in the USA to practically anyone who asked for it, but these days obtaining this prescription drug is not so easy. This has made people want it more and a whole mystique has built up around this rather nasty and dangerous pill.
We say nasty, not because these brands did not work for weight loss. It did work but unfortunately caused serious and proven side effects including long-term heart damage and addiction.
Today weight loss based drugs are only prescribed under strict medical supervision, if at all. As such they are banned in most countries.
Phentramin D contains a range of stimulant ingredients that will have an effect upon your heart and you are advised not to take it if you suffer from any type of heart condition or are taking any related medication.
There is a long list of health conditions that make this drug unsuitable for use and it is a point in the product advertising’s favour that the company does provide clear warnings.
The big problem is that many people are walking around with high blood pressure and cardiovascular disorders without even realising they have a problem. This means taking this supplement could be dangerous to consumers who think they are healthy but might not be.
The stimulant ingredients are a matter of real concern and include Synephrine which comes with proven health concerns – see our earlier investigation, as well as Yohimbe (see our related article) – also well known as a cause of dangerous side effects relating to the heart.
Phentramin D is available in either capsule or tablet form. To use, take one tablet or capsule with a glass of water (8oz) 20 minutes before breakfast and again 20 minutes before lunch, or in the afternoon.
Do not take too close to bedtime because the stimulant ingredients may cause insomnia and do not take more than 4 times within 24 hours.
You are advised to use in combination with a healthy eating plan and exercise programme in order to lose weight.
- Contains potentially dangerous ingredients that may cause heart problems
- Taking stimulants are not a healthy or effective way to lose weight
- Lacks independent customer testimonials
What Does Phentramin-D Claim To Do?
According to the advertising, Phentramin delivers four key benefits. They claim it will;
- Suppress your appetite
- Increase your energy
- Supercharge your metabolism
- Turn your body into a 24/7 fat burning machine
The advertising states that Phentramin D works by;
Combing the power of prescription [drugs] with a new and safe AND adding a substance that not only increases energy but acts as a mild diuretic
We imagine that the advertisers mean combining rather than combing. What we cannot understand is why anyone would want a product that acts as a mild diuretic and can see no benefit in losing water weight rather than fat.
So What Is Phentramin-D and What Are The Ingredients For Phentramin-D?
Phentramin D is a diet pill that is supposed to mirror the effects of prescription drugs by decreasing your appetite, raising your energy levels and helping you burn off fat.
The ingredients profile is very inadequate. Although the advertising names the ingredients contained in this proprietary brand they do not give exact quantities.
You could be taking massive doses or homoeopathically small amounts without knowing
This lack of information is a real matter for concern.
- 2-Phenylethylamine (also known as PEA): Is an amino acid, which is found in chocolate and other foodstuffs. The Phenylethylamine deriviative are in the same chemical class as psychoactive drugs and stimulants including amphetamines. PEA can cause a short-lived high effect but is quickly metabolized. It is this high that makes it attractive as a supplement but the effect often lasts only a few minutes. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenethylamine
- 1,3.7 Trimethylxanthine: Also known as the diet pill favourite, caffeine! It can help suppress the appetite and raise energy levels. It has a diuretic effect too. Quantities of caffeine contained in the supplement are not disclosed on the information but as a rule of thumb an average cup of instant coffee contains around 100mg. High levels of caffeine will cause jitteriness and anxiety side effects.
- Hordenine: Is a plant compound found in a wide variety of plants including barley and cactus. It is a common ingredient in weight loss supplements because it is believed to stimulate the nervous system and speed the metabolism. It is often used in combination with PEA.
Clinical experiments suggest that Hordenine is an indirectly acting adrenergic agent that produces its pharmacological effects by releasing stored norepinephrine. This means it relates to the increase of adrenaline levels and the flight or fight response. This effect may help you lose your appetite by making you feel too stressed to eat. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hordenine
- Synephrine: We covered synephrine in an earlier investigation and did not like what we saw. Synephrine is a stimulant that raises the heart rate and increases blood pressure. It is often used in supplements because it is believed to stimulate the breakdown of fat and boost the metabolism but there is a lack of clinical evidence that proves it. There is evidence however, that synephrine can cause heart problems.
- Yohimbine: Is often marketed as an aphrodisiac and sexual enhancer and comes under the MAOI (Monoamine oxidase inhibitors) classification. MAOIs are often used to treat depression and Parkinson’s disease.
Yohimbine can be dangerous and lead to acute neurotoxity, causing a rise in heart rate and blood pressure combined with vomiting and nausea. Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19640235
So What Does All This Mean?
Phentramin D does not appear to be safe. If you have any medical problems with your heart or blood pressure, you should not take this supplement. The problem is that if you do not know you have an underlying medical condition in this area you may cause serious health problems.
The lack of ingredient information is extremely worrying. You really will have no idea how much of any ingredient you will be taking.
Will taking stimulants really help you lose weight anyway? It might make you feel too stressed and keyed up to eat but this is not a healthy or effective way to achieve permanent weight loss.
Does Phentramin-D Have Any Side Effects?
It probably will have side effects. You may notice the usual effects of stimulants such as jitteriness, anxiety and insomnia.
Synephrine and Yohimbe – and caffeine to a certain extent, can cause heart palpitations, irregular heart beat and pounding. The supplement may cause an increase in blood pressure and yohimbine has been linked with vomiting and nausea.
You may feel you need to pee more often due to the diuretic effect of the caffeine.
Caution: Avoid this supplement if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
Do not take Phentramin D if you suffer from any of the following: High blood pressure, Diabetes, Any Cardiovascular condition, Heart disease, Hyperthyroidism, Any type of mental problem such as depression or are Taking any prescription medicine.
Any Phentramin-D Reviews From Customers?
No independent customer reviews are available for Phentramin D. You can find some positive reviews from websites promoting the supplement but we couldn’t find any from a real life customer who has actually tried this supplement.
So Does Phentramin-D Work?
Phentramin D contains a lot of stimulants so you may find that you feel too wired and too on edge to eat and it is possible that you will notice the effects of taking this supplement. However, it is hard to say exactly how strong the stimulant effect will be because the ingredient amounts are not given. Apart from the stimulants, there is nothing here that will help you lose weight and nothing that is healthy.
Where Can I Buy Phentramin-D?
You can buy Phentramin D direct from the Lazarus Inc website.
One bottle of 60 capsules or tablets costs $67.00 and if you spend over $129.00 on Lazarus products you will qualify for free shipping. International shipping costs are not given – you need to contact the customer services department to ask. There is a slight price reduction if you buy more than one bottle of Phentramin D. If you buy two bottles, the unit price reduces to $63.00.
You can pay via PayPal and Lazarus does not appear to be operating any auto billing programmes or similar.
How About A Money-Back Guarantee?
There is a 30-day money back guarantee. You need to return the bottles and you will need a Return Authorization Number (RAN).
Phentramin D is not the worst diet drug inspired diet supplement we have seen on the market. The website is informative and comes with some health warnings and Lazarus appears to be a respectable company with no black marks against them.
The problems all come down to the product. Phentramin D contains some potentially dangerous ingredients and the quantities are unknown. If you buy this, you will have no idea exactly what you are taking and there is no customer feedback where you can see genuine customer testimonials.
We don’t think this is up to scratch and so can’t be sure that Phentramin D is safe. It is never worth gambling with your health so for this reason alone we have no other choice but to reject Phentramin D.