Modern life is stressful and many of us are constantly under the pressure of work, finances and family. According to the Slendersol information, this strain is a powerful contributor to weight gain.
- Hard to think of a good reason for buying this supplement
- No evidence will reduce cortisol levels as claimed
- Some confusion surrounding the ingredients list
- No customer feedback
- No money-back guarantee
- Produced by Newton and Everett a US diet supplement company
- Each bottle contains 60 capsules (one months supply)
- Identical looking product to Xenamine – a diet pill that claims to enhance fat burning
Slendersol is an American made supplement produced by Newton Everett Biotech who are based in Arizona.This company sell supplements worldwide with the UK and European market covered by associate company Biovea.
In the USA Slendersol and other Newton Everett supplements are sold direct from the Newton Everett website.
Slendersol is described as a “new cortisol regulating formula” and according to the product information; it is this powerful hormone, which is a powerful contributor to weight gain.
What is Cortisol?
Cortisol is the body’s main stress hormone. It is released in response to stress and its primary function is to increase blood sugar, suppress the immune system and to help the body metabolise fat protein and carbohydrates.
Cortisol is produced by the adrenal gland and its purpose is to help you react to danger and stress – the flight or flee response. It is vital for dealing with dangerous situations but in most cases, modern life puts stresses on us that also create these bodily responses.
You might feel stressed out by your latest electricity bill for example but this does not require the same physical response as you would need to run away from a dangerous wild animal!
However, the body sees all stress in the same way and floods your body with cortisol. After the threat is over the body’s response is to eat!
Elevated cortisol causes insulin resistance therefore is associated with diabetes type 2 Cortisol is believed to be a major contributory factor to stomach fat now known to be a major health risk.
Slendersol contains a range of herbal ingredients, which the advertising claims will be effective for reducing cortisol levels.
These include Hoodia, Glucomannan, Caffeine, trace mineral Chromium and some amino acids.
It looks disappointing after all the promising information about reducing cortisol. At first glance, this formula looks just like many other diet pills on the market and does not seem to have any special significance for restraining this powerful hormone.
Slendersol also contains Bitter orange, which according to research works in an androgenic way – it boosts adrenaline and raises heart rate and blood pressure.
We cannot see how this ingredient will help decrease stress levels when it so obviously is involved in recreating the flight or flee response.
How to Take Slendersol
Take one (1) capsule early in the morning and one (1) capsule early afternoon.
Use in conjunction with a sensible diet and exercise program and ensure you take with 8 ounces (240ml) of water.
Newton Everett manufacture a wide range of supplements for health and weight loss. We have covered some of their diet pills before, including Advantrim and Hoodiadrene both of which we unfortunately had to reject.
We are beginning to get the impression that the claims about this supplement reducing cortisol levels are nothing more than a marketing slant!
- Will taking stimulants really reduce stress?
- Lack of attention to detail surrounding the ingredients list- Seems unprofessional and slapdash
- May cause side effects
What Does Slendersol Claim To Do?
Most of the Slendersol advertising is taken up with explaining the role of cortisol rather than telling the customer how this supplement will help. However, they do state that,
When taken properly, customers report feeling better after a few days!
Slendersol may help you because,
It works by helping reduce stress, controlling your appetite, increasing mental focus and boosting your energy levels!
According to the advertising, the key ingredients play an important role:
- Hoodia Cactus – Powerful appetite suppressant
- Theobromine – Helps increase well being, diuretic
- Green Tea – Fat-burning properties
- Magnolia Bark – Helps control cortisol levels
- Caffeine/Guarana – Increased energy
- Glucomannan – Fiber
- Bitter Orange – Boosts the metabolism
- Banaba – Blood sugar regulator
According to this list, only one ingredient is touted as having any effect upon cortisol. Even more odd is that Bitter Orange does not show up in the ingredients list!
So What Is Slendersol and What Are The Ingredients For Slendersol?
Slendersol is a fairly standard general-purpose diet pill that is being marketed as a way to target one hormonal imbalance. Serving size is equal to one capsule:
- Chromium (amino acid Chelate) (100mcg): Chelated chromium contains chromium that has been chemically combined with other substances, like amino acids. Chromium is a trace mineral so the body requires very little. It may help improve the way the body uses insulin. It may be effective as a treatment for diabetes but requires further testing. Can be dangerous in excess
- Caffeine (anhydrous) (200mg): Crystallised form of caffeine. Can increase metabolism and perk you up. Amount here the equivalent of about 2 cups of coffee.
Proprietary Blend (580mg)
- Hoodia Cactus Powder: This cactus was once regarded as the wonder of weight loss but has now been discredited after testing by the major pharmaceutical companies proved it to be ineffective.
- Magnolia Bark (1.5% extract): This ingredient is touted by Newton and Everett as reducing cortisol. It may have a sedative effect and in animal testing, seems to reduce anxiety. Magnolia can make you sleepy and you should avoid alcohol or sleeping tablets.
- Glucomannan: Natural fibre that may create a feeling of fullness thus leading to an appetite suppressant effect if taken in high amounts (not here) The recommended dose is 3g per day so insufficient quantities here.
- Green Tea (50% extract): Rich in antioxidants, Green tea has been researched for its positive benefits for a wide range of health conditions Green tea works best for health when drunk as a beverage and a cup of tea can certainly reduce stress! Contains caffeine.
- Theobromine (99%): Bitter Alkaloid of the cocoa plant and present in chocolate, tea leaves and the cola nut. Theobromine is used in medicine to widen the blood vessels and as a heart stimulant. Not known as a diuretic as the advertising claims.
- Guarana (33% extract providing 17mg naturally-occurring caffeine): Another source of caffeine for the supplement.
- Cha de Bugre (herb powder): Stimulant derived from a red fruit native to Brazil. It may have health benefits but remains unproven for promoting weight loss. A big problem with Cha de Bugre is that the Brazilian government has tightly controlled the export of this ingredient and it is unlikely that you will find genuine Cha de Bugre in any supplements.
- Maca Extract (0.6% macamides): South American plant root, which is believed to have aphrodisiac qualities and is rich in trace minerals and amino acids.
- L-Theanine: This amino acid is present in green tea and can help promote alertness as well as feelings of calmness – that is if you are unstressed to start with. It does not seem to be effective in calming you down if you are anxious. It may have health benefits but requires further testing.
- Banaba (1% extract): Herbal remedy touted for high blood cholesterol. No proof that it works.
- Gugglesterones: Naturally occurring plant sterol derived from the guggul plant and once believed to reduce cholesterol. Now disproved although it may have other benefits.
So What Does All This Mean?
We thought the Slendersol formula looked familiar and strangely, it is identical to another diet pill Xenamine that we reviewed and rejected in an earlier review. This is mysterious because Newton and Everett and Innervital, the so-called makers of Xenamine both claim to manufacture their supplements, yet this diet pill appears to be exactly the same product.
We cannot see any evidence that Slendersol will suppress Cortisol levels. It does contain some general ingredients that may help weight loss but the ingredient amounts do not appear to be in sufficient quantities.
Glucomannan for example needs a daily dose of 3g to work and with 12 ingredients in the proprietary blend of 580mg; it seems that this supplement does not contain much of anything.
Strangely, the advertising makes a point of mentioning Bitter Orange in the product information but this ingredient is actually missing from the ingredients list.
Does Slendersol Have Any Side Effects?
We were unable to find any customer reviews so we cannot bring you any true-life experiences. However judging by the ingredients list, Slendersol may cause potential side effects including.
- Stomach cramps
- Increased heart rate
Avoid if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
Avoid alcohol and sleeping tablets.
Do not take if you suffer from a liver or kidney related medical condition.
Do not take if you suffer from a heart condition or have high blood pressure.
Speak to your doctor before taking for advice. Slendersol may cause drug interactions and may not be suitable for everyone.
Any Slendersol Reviews From Customers?
Despite Slendersol being on sale throughout the USA, UK and Europe we were unable to find one independent customer review.
So Does Slendersol Work?
We don’t think that Slendersol will work in the way that the advertising claims. There is just no evidence that this supplement will actively work to reduce cortisol levels. Magnolia Bark is known to be a mild sedative but any effects of this will be cancelled out by the caffeine content.
Amino acid Theanine is known to promote mental calm but interestingly only if you are calm to start with. Although stress and cortisol is a factor of weight gain a better option would be to take steps to de stress your life. Yoga, relaxation and exercise will all help to reduce cortisol and will be more effective than a supplement.
Where Can I Buy Slendersol?
If you are in the USA, you can buy Slendersol direct from the Newton and Everett website. One tub of 60 capsules (1 month’s supply) costs $25.95. Standard shipping to US addresses costs an added $6.95.
If you live outside the USA, you can buy Slendersol from the Biovea website. This supplement is available worldwide to South American countries, Europe and the UK as well as Australia, South Africa, India and the Middle East.
UK- One tub of 60 capsules (1 months supply) costs £17.65. Shipping costs to UK addresses are not specified.
Europe- 60 capsules of Slendersol costs 22€ plus local shipping costs.
What About A Guarantee
No money back guarantee on offer.
In our opinion Slendersol is an unimpressive looking supplement. It comes with the claims that it will reduce cortisol levels and as a result help you lose weight, but none of this is backed up with a shred of evidence.
It appears to us that the advertising has simply come up with this theory as a new idea in order to market this supplement. Cortisol is an important factor in health and weight gain but we don’t think this supplement is going to address this issue.
There is some confusion regarding the ingredients list. The advertising claims that this supplement contains Bitter Orange but this is not actually true, judging by the ingredients list. It does however include Hoodia, which has undergone extensive clinical testing by the major pharmaceutical companies and has been proven not to work.
Our advice is that if you want to reduce the stress in your life you would do better to take some exercise or try meditation techniques in combination with a weight loss diet. The support of a diet pill may help but we don’t think that this one is a good choice.
Slendersol just is not good enough to add to our approved list so we have no other choice but to reject it.