Are you over 50 and struggling to lose excess weight? This supplement claims to be the answer for you, we find out.
Slim Over 50 Pros
- There are some reasonable ingredients in this supplement
Slim Over 50 Cons
- Incomplete ingredients profile lacking amount quantities
- Misleading advertising
- Zero customer feedback
- No money-back guarantee
Slim Over 50 Review
Slim Over 50 Facts
- 1-800 Wellmed are not connected with the better known medical services provider
- Slim Over 50 contains 14 ingredients
- Does not come with a guarantee
Slim Over 50 is a Wellmed supplement on sale in the USA. Not the WellMed you may have heard of as a private health care provider specialising in elderly care. The company behind this supplement is 1 -800 Wellmed, a supplements company that provide a wide range of products for all types of health issue.
1-800 Wellmed sell supplements mainly aimed at the older age group so we guess that the name of the company is intended to be slightly misleading.
1-800 Wellmed offer discount vouchers and coupons on many of their supplements which is probably designed to appeal to the older buyer because it makes them look credible. However, the supplements are only available from the 1-800 Wellmed website , not from any real life shops or stores. The company address is listed as a post-box in Encino so despite the catchy name that sounds reassuringly familiar; there is nothing familiar or well known about this operation.
The company phone number (1 -800 9355633) is part of the company name. That said we have seen many good supplements from various types of business but just wanted to clear up any potential confusion between 1-800 Wellmed and health care providers of the same name.
Slim Over 50 falls into the fat burner, metabolism booster category.
It contains a range of vitamins and currently popular weight loss ingredients such as Garcinia Cambogia, Hoodia and Green Tea Extract.
There are 14 ingredients in total and according to the advertising; this supplement will help you lose 5-7 pounds a week! This seems extremely unlikely and is in excess of safe weight loss advice which is to lose no more weight than 2lbs a week.
The advertising makes a point of mentioning that this supplement does not contain ‘crazy stimulants’ but in fact, it does contain Citrus Aurantium, which is a stimulant although there is nothing that crazy about it.
Citrus Aurantium is known to cause potentially very dangerous side effects and it can raise heart rate and blood pressure in otherwise healthy people. Slim Over 50 also contains Yerba mate and Tyrosine both known for causing stimulant effects.
How to Take Slim Over 50
To use Slim Over 50: Take one capsule three times per day with water.
Take each capsule 30 minutes before eating, one at breakfast, one at lunch, and one at dinnertime.
You may take up to 6 (six) capsules per day if desired and take 2 capsules before each meal.
A major drawback to this supplement is that it does not provide adequate ingredients information so we have no way of knowing how much of anything is contained in this supplement or the sort of effect it will have on you.
The website information does not provide any hard facts beyond naming the ingredients and some of the explanations for these are frankly laughable.
Here is an example:
PANTOTHENIC ACID helps your body process pizza, burgers and pastries better.
Truth is, as we all know, if you eat too much pizza burgers and pastries, no amount of Vitamin B5 in the world is going to make you lose weight!
Slim Over 50 Concerns:
- Supplement is available to buy in 12 month’s supply. Taking it long term could be very dangerous
- Misleading advertising
- People may mistake this supplement company with the better known medical services provider Wellmed
What Does Slim Over 50 Claim To Do?
Slim Over 50 comes with a lot of claims but very little evidence that it will help you lose weight. It explains:
Listen, you’re not 20 anymore. And your body doesn’t work like a 20 year old’s anymore.
We cannot argue with that. It continues,
By age 50, you’re slowly packing on pounds and becoming more sluggish. Which means you need a formula that is made specifically for your 50+ age group to help you shed the accumulating fat, and feel energetic again.
According to the advertising, the ingredients in Slim Over 50 are clinically proven to aid effective weight loss”.
The truth is that most of these ingredients are not clinically proven to do anything and there is just no evidence that they will help you lose weight or are specially suitable to the over 50 age group.
Slim Over 50 comes with some simplistic explanations about how the ingredients work and what they do:
- COCOA EXTRACT makes you happy and reduces your appetite.
- GREEN ORANGE CITRUS AURANTIUM is a natural stimulant with NO side effects.
- BLACK PEPPER EXTRACT is a proven calorie burner.
None of the claims are backed up with a shred of evidence.
So What Is Slim Over 50 and What Are The Ingredients For Slim Over 50?
Slim Over 50 is a weight loss supplement aimed at the over 50’s age group. Serving size appears to be one capsule but we cannot provide you with accurate ingredients information because amounts contained in each capsule are not provided.
Any ingredient could be in potentially dangerous high amounts. Alternatively, amount quantities may be too small to have an effect. This means we can only provide a general overview of each ingredient.
- Niacin: Also known as vitamin B3 this vital vitamin does help lower fat levels in your blood and reduce cholesterol as the advertising claims. However, you can get your daily intake of Niacin from your diet. It is contained in green veg meat fish and foods like breakfast cereal. Even at high doses, Niacin is safe but exceed the RDA of 35mg and it can cause facial flushing and itchy skin.
- Vitamin B6: Important vitamin that is involved in many aspects of the metabolism and vital for the breakdown of lipids. Obtainable by diet and present in foodstuffs such as bananas, nuts and vegetables.
- Pantothenic Acid: Vitamin B5 is an important vitamin found in green veg, meat dairy products and eggs. It plays a role in the destabilisation of fat and cholesterol but if you take in order to help your body process pizza, burgers and pastries better, you are going to be disappointed.
- Iodine: This vital trace element is essential for a healthy thyroid function. It is present in salt, fish and seafood and deficiency is common. However, Iodine can be dangerous in high amounts and taking supplements can cause thyroid problems.
- Hoodia: This cactus extract was once believed to hold the answer to world obesity but following extensive clinical testing by pharmaceutical giant Unilever, it has been clinically proven NOT to work for weight loss. It can cause side effects too.
- Yerba Mate: Caffeine rich natural Brazilian plant that may increase the speed of your metabolism and suppress your appetite in the same way as coffee.
- Chromium: Trace mineral which means you need very little of it and dangerous in high amounts. Chromium may help insulin regulate blood sugar but medical opinion is that taking OTC supplements is unnecessary.
- Cocoa Extract: Principle ingredient of chocolate (away from the milk and the sugar) and can have a stimulant effect if taken in sufficient quantities (probably not the case here). In its natural form, cocoa extract may help lower blood pressure but it can raise blood sugar levels too.
- Nopalectin (Nopal Cactus): Also known as prickly pear cactus. This plant extract may be effective for treating diabetes because it contains fibre and pectin, which can reduce blood sugar levels. Eating Nopal cactus in its natural form may be effective for diabetes but the lack of information about how much is contained here is of concern.
- Green Orange Citrus Aurantium: This natural stimulant derived from peel can cause stimulant side effects. Citrus Aurantium contains synephrine, which has an effect upon adrenaline and can put your body into a stressed fight or flight response. This response raises the heart rate and increases blood pressure so can increase the risk of stroke or heart attack.
- Garcinia Cambogia: Touted ingredient believed to help you burn fat and reduce appetite. There have been numerous clinical studies that proves it causes weight loss but these positive results have only been seen in tests carried out on rats.
- Tyrosine: This amino acid is obtainable through diet if you eat meat. It raises adrenaline levels and can make you feel too on edge to eat.
- Green Tea Extract: This has proven health benefits and the antioxidants it contains (ECGC and polyphenols) found to have anti obesity and fat burning properties because of the effects upon the metabolism. Source:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17201629
- Black Pepper Extract: According to the Slim Over 50 advertising, black pepper is a proven calorie burner. There is not much evidence of this unless extremely high doses are taken.
So What Does All This Mean?
The main problem with this supplement is the lack of basic information that explains how much of each ingredient is contained in each serving. This means it is like trying to judge the effects of whisky without knowing whether it is a teaspoon or a bottleful!
However, there are some good ingredients here. We love Green tea and some of the vitamins. Nopal seems safe and may be effective for appetite control.
However, we are not convinced by Hoodia and Garcinia and we have serious concerns about Citrus Aurantium, Tyrosine and Yerba Mate. These are strong stimulants and may cause a range of common side effects.
We cannot see this supplement doing much for weight loss and you certainly will not lose 1lb a day as the advertising claims.
Does Slim Over 50 Have Any Side Effects?
There is no independent feedback for Slim Over 50 so we cannot bring you any true-life customer experiences. We can only judge from the ingredients list and there will be side effects.
Potential side effects may include:
- Irregular heart beat
- Increased heart rate
- Rise in blood pressure
- Increased risk of stroke and heart attack
- Facial flushing
- Skin irritation
Avoid if pregnant or breastfeeding. (Unlikely if you are over 50 but it is standard advice for all supplements.)
Do not take if you have health issues related to heart or blood pressure or your thyroid gland.
Do not take if you suffer from Glaucoma because this supplement may affect eye pressure.
Speak to your doctor first if you have diabetes.
If you are taking prescription medication this supplement will cause interactions so check with your doctor or simply avoid this supplement.
Any Slim Over 50 Reviews From Customers?
We could not find one customer review, despite extensive searching.
So Does Slim Over 50 Work?
In truth, it is impossible to say what this supplement will do. The complete lack of ingredients information makes this supplement a lottery when it comes to effects and side effects.
The advertising claims that the ingredients are all “clinically proven”. This is untrue. Most of the ingredients have had clinical testing but this does not mean they are clinically proven to work or have even been tested on humans.
One of the most well known supplement ingredients is Hoodia. This had clinical testing and was proven NOT to work. Garcinia Cambogia has had positive clinical results when tested on rats but the same effects have not been seen in human testing.
Moderate iodine supplementation may help some people with an iodine deficiency but there again too much iodine long term is extremely dangerous to health.
There is just no evidence that this blend of ingredients has ever been tested in combination. Results of taking this supplement are unknown and unpredictable.
Where Can I Buy Slim Over 50?
You can buy Slim Over 50 direct from the 1-800 Wellmed website and either buy online or order over the phone.
- 1 Month’s supply (90 Caps) costs $29.95
- 3 Month’s supply (270 Caps) costs $85.95
- 6 Month’s supply (540 Caps) costs $139.95
- 12 Month’s supply (1080 Caps) costs $239.95
Shipping to US addresses is an additional $6.95 on one month’s supply but is free on larger orders. International delivery details are not provided. 1-800 Wellmed do not sell direct to customers outside the USA.
What About A Guarantee
No money back guarantee is on offer.
We are not very impressed with Slim Over 50 or with the company behind this supplement 1-800 Wellmed. This supplement comes with zero information about ingredient amount quantities so you really will have no idea what you are taking.
The advertising is misleading too. It claims that this supplement is not full of so-called crazy stimulants but it does contain some strong stimulant ingredients, which have been linked with a whole range of dangerous side effects including heart attacks and strokes.
There is no real reason why Slim Over 50 should be particular suited to the over 50s age group. The name looks like a marketing ploy in keeping with the misleading name of this supplement company.
1-800 Wellmed is nothing to do with elderly care or private health insurance. Instead it is just a supplements company with a catchy name that gives its address as a PO Box in Encino. It is not exactly well known or reputable!
We would not take this supplement ourselves or recommend it to anyone else so it is an easy decision.
We reject Slim Over 50.