We look at Teatox to find out if the claims are the real deal.
- The Daytime Blend contains Oolong green tea
- Detox teas can cause dangerous side effects
- Detoxing is not good for health and does not cause weight loss
- Teatox contains some potentially dangerous ingredients
SlimmingSolutions TeaTox Review
- This Tea supplement package is marketed as an own brand product from British company Slimming Solutions
- You are advised to use for 14 days only
- No customer feedback or product guarantee
Detox teas are popular right now. They seem to offer an easy way to detox without hassle and there is something about drinking a herbal tea that just seems so natural and cleansing.
There are numerous on the market, including Bootea – which we covered and rejected in a previous review as well as several other brands. Slimming Solutions Teatox comprises of two types of tea (teabags) that you take over a two week period.
There is a daytime blend that you drink in the morning when you wake up. This contains Chinese Oolong tea as well as some powerful diuretics such as dandelion and nettle leaves. It also contains Siberian Ginseng (Eleuthero extract) which is believed to increase stamina and concentration so we guess the idea is that this will perk you up for the day.
The Evening Blend should only be taken once every other evening just before you go to bed. This contains well-known laxative Senna, Psyllium – a fibre that is an ingredient in OTC laxative product Fybogel, and Valerian a natural herb that may help you sleep. Let’s hope you manage to wake up before the laxatives take effect!
How to Take SlimmingSolutions TeaTox
Daytime Blend: Drink every morning upon waking. To make the tea, add one tea bag to a cup of hot water (but not boiling), and leave to infuse for 2-3 minutes before drinking.
Evening Blend: Drink every other evening before bedtime. To make the tea, add one tea bag to a cup of hot water (but not boiling), and leave to infuse for 2-3 minutes before drinking.
You can flavour both teas with lemon or honey if you wish.
Slimming Solutions Teatox contain ingredients to increase urination and bowel movements. Essentially the idea of detoxing is to purge your body of so-called toxins, waste and excess water in the belief that doing this will enhance you health and cleanse your digestive system.
The problem is that there is no real medical reason for doing this. Taking laxatives and diuretics does not benefit health and often will cause health problems such as dehydration. We covered the dangers of detox in a previous investigation.
According to dietician Ursula Arens speaking in the Daily Mail you do not need to take detox supplements in order to cleanse your system.
The body actually has a massive overcapacity to dispose of toxins.’ As for the need to cleanse the colon, it is constantly cleansing itself by renewing the mucus layer that protects the colon wall from being exposed to toxins.
She continued saying,
If you usually drink a lot of alcohol and you stop and start drinking herbal tea, mineral water and fruit juice, it’s not surprising that your skin will look clearer and healthier.
Slimming Solutions is a British company who market various weight loss supplements and products and they also have an extensive own label brand. Teatox is one of these own brand supplements.
Based in the North East this company have been operating for 12 years where they have won awards for business. It seems unlikely that Slimming Solutions manufacture their own supplements and we cannot provide any details about where Slimming Solutions Teatox is actually made. These teabags may be made in the UK or imported from abroad. We do not have this information.
- This supplement will cause interactions with a wide range of prescription medication
- These teas are not as harmless as they appear. With no health warnings provided by the product advertising, will customers realise?
- According to all medical advice, detoxing is not good for health and weight loss and can cause medical problems
What Does SlimmingSolutions TeaTox Claim To Do?
According to the Slimming Solutions advertising, Teatox will help you
‘Beat the Bloat’ and will ‘Enhance energy levels’.
Teatox works by,
Combining a unique blend of unique tea formulas; a daytime plus an evening blend. These teas are designed to work in harmony with your body to help get rid of unwanted toxins, resulting in a full body detoxing effect.
According to medical opinion, this is impossible. So called toxins – and it is important to remember that anything can be considered toxic in high amounts, are either water soluble in which case your kidneys and liver can filter them out, or fat soluble and stored by your body as fat. Taking a supplement will not help to remove them.
Teatox is designed to gently cleanse the digestive system and detoxify your body, as well as boosting metabolism and reducing cravings.
There is no evidence that this is true.
So What Is SlimmingSolutions TeaTox and What Are The Ingredients?
Slimming Solutions Teatox is detox tea package in teabag form. There are two types of tea. One for Daytime use and the other tea, the Evening Blend for last thing at night on alternate evenings. Both teas are naturally sugar free with no artificial additives.
- Chinese Oolong tea (38%): Type of Green tea that you can buy in health food shops and some supermarkets. Oolong tea has proven health benefits because of its high levels of antioxidants which can help increase the speed the metabolism too.
- Fennel (10%): Commonplace garden herb used medicinally for digestive problems, and works as a mild laxative and diuretic. It may work in the body like oestrogen, so won’t suit you if you have hormone related health issues.
- Lemongrass (10%): When taken in large enough quantities lemon grass can have a calming effect. Popular herbal tea ingredient.
- Nettle leaves (8%): Well-known garden weed with diuretic properties.
- Ginger root (5%): Culinary ingredient and flavouring often used to treat stomach upsets and nausea.
- Dandelion leaf (5%): Well known diuretic so will cause you to urinate more.
- Ginseng root (2%):Panax Ginseng – the original ginseng, works in the body as an adaptogen. Well known herbal remedy but can have unpredictable effects.
- Salvia Miltiorrhiza (2%): Chinese herbal extract also known as Red Sage or Danshen. May have numerous medical possibilities but requires further testing.
- Senna leaves (20%): Senna is a natural plant that contains a chemical called sennoside, which irritates the lining of the bowel and creates a laxative effect. According to the American Herbal Products Association, the leaves are harsh and the association warns against long-term use. They suggest that products containing Senna leaves should come with a health warning.
- Hawthorn leaves (20%): Well known as a folk medicine with numerous applications – including treating heart problems and believed to have a sedative effect. It is a diuretic.
- Lotus Leaves (14%): Lotus leaves contain phytochemicals and are high in antioxidants. However there has been little clinical testing and it may cause gastrointestinal irritation.
- Fenugreek Seeds (12%): Familiar spice to lovers of Indian food and may have health benefits too. It is used for digestive problems such as constipation and it may help lower cholesterol but it can cause diarrhoea as a side effect.
- Burdock root (14%): British medicinal herb and known to some people as the old-fashioned soft drink Dandelion and burdock. Known as a diuretic.
- Peppermint (8%): Popular as a herbal tea and seems to help treat bloating and stomach disorders.
- Psyllium Seeds (8%): Soluble fiber with laxative effect and used in OTC laxatives including Fybogel.
- Valerian root (2%): Natural garden herb that is well known as an effective remedy against insomnia. Might help you sleep.
- Liquorice Root (2%): Liquorice root may have many medicinal benefits but should always be taken in moderation, as here because of potential side effects. Well known laxative effect.
So What Does All This Mean?
You will probably notice the effects of Slimming Solutions Teatox. Both teas contain proven laxatives and diuretics so you can expect to be spending more time in the bathroom.
You may notice a slight lift after taking the Daytime Blend thanks to the Siberian Ginseng and green tea combination but a safer option would be to just drink a cup of ordinary green tea. Siberian Ginseng is known for causing unpredictable side effects and it can increase heart rate and blood pressure.
We are more concerned with the Evening Blend because Senna is a very strong laxative. It is probably safe enough if taken for a limited time (as here) but long term use can cause liver damage. The other ingredients also have laxative or diuretic effects or are herbal sleeping remedies such as valerian.
We cannot see the sense of taking this at bedtime and it seems highly possible that you will be up in the night to visit the bathroom. Slimming Solutions Teatox looks fairly safe but is unlikely to do anything other than make you visit the bathroom more. Is this good for health and weightloss? Some people think so but there really is no medical reason why it should be.
Does SlimmingSolutions TeaTox Have Any Side Effects?
This herbal tea package is new on the market and it is too early for customer reviews so we cannot bring you any true-life experiences.
Many of the ingredients contained in the teas may cause side effects that will affect some users.
- Abdominal cramps
- Elevated heart rate – rapid heart beat or palpitations
- Increase in blood pressure
- Lowered blood pressure
- Gastro intestinal irritation
- May cause dehydration
- May interfere with the contraceptive pill
Avoid if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Do not take if you have or have had a hormonally related medical condition (you need to avoid using supplements containing fennel in this case).
Seek medical advice before using these teas if you have a heart or blood pressure related medical condition or are diabetic.
Many of the ingredients, such as Hawthorn are well known for causing drug interactions so you need to avoid these teas if you are on prescription medication.
Senna may not be suitable for use if you are taking the contraceptive pill so speak to your doctor first.
It is important to remember that although this supplement looks just like a couple of harmless herb teas, they do contain some strong and powerful ingredients and will not be safe or suitable for everyone. You should speak to your doctor first and discontinue use if you experience side effects.
Any SlimmingSolutions TeaTox Reviews From Customers?
There is one five star review for Teatox on the Slimming Solutions but we were unable to see it. Otherwise, there are no customer reviews for Slimming Solutions Teatox.
So Does SlimmingSolutions TeaTox Work?
It will probably work inasmuch as it causes you to visit the bathroom more frequently but it will not do much for your health and weight loss.
Laxatives can cause temporary weight loss but is not a way to lose fat or promote good health. Once you stop taking them, your weight will come back on.
If you fancy the idea of detox, changing your diet and cutting out alcohol and reducing stimulants like caffeine may help improve your skin and general well-being. Drinking plenty of water will help. Green tea is also effective for health and may have a positive effect upon your metabolism.
Where Can I Buy SlimmingSolutions TeaTox?
You can buy Slimming Solutions Teatox direct from the Slimming Solutions website. One package of 14 days supply costs £19.99. UK delivery is an addition £2.99
If you live outside the UK, you will need to contact Slimming Solutions to find out delivery options and prices.
What About A Guarantee
Slimming Solutions do not offer guarantees on their supplements.
Slimming Solutions Teatox looks to be a fairly standard detox tea package. It contains laxatives and diuretics to cause the desired purgative effect and we think it will probably work as far as it will cause you to spend more time in the bathroom.
However, many of the ingredients will not be suitable for everyone so it is important to read through our list of potential side effects and health risks.
Slimming Solutions has not provided any health warnings at all which is a serious omission because make no mistake this herbal tea package is not as harmless as it looks.
You certainly need to avoid it if you have any health issues or are taking medication and seek the advice of your doctor before you embark on this detox plan. It may negate the effects of the contraceptive pill.
We would never recommend any detox supplements because at best detoxing is pointless for health and weight loss and at worst, it is dangerous. Therefore, it is an easy decision.
We reject Slimming Solutions Teatox.